Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Player perception

I would like some feedback please on something I have been contemplating about for a while that I think could improve results and make you a better all round player.

Now if this has already been discussed please forgive me.

Basically, we all have our own in-built traits and personalities that naturally tend to put us into one of four categories, namely Loose Aggressive, Loose Passive, Tight Aggressive of Tight Passive. This will pre-determine the type of poker that you are comfortable playing.

Now, if we could sit at a table and give the perception to the others that we are the opposite of what we are that surely would be +EV. How can we do this though? Well my view is that the vast majority of players at your table will make up their minds fairly quickly on the type of player you are. In other words, the first impression rule and it can take a long while for players to convince themselves otherwise.

So when you first sit at a table if you decided to play the exact opposite to that you are comfortable with, I think it would do 2 things:

1. Provide the table with a false impression of you.
2. Develop the side of your game you are not comfortable with.

The downside may be that initially you may play bad and lose a little but the long term benefits should outweigh those.

Yes, I know people at the table may change and mixing your play is good anyway but this is aimed specifically to when you first start at a table. I think at the moment the exact opposite happens, in other words people play the game they are most comfortable with until they get a grip on the table dynamics.

If you think I am talking out of my backside (which I think many of you do) please feel free to abuse these thoughts.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Player perception

I usually try to exaggerate whatever the cards are sending me AT FIRST. Thus if I'm getting alot of good hands, I'll try to appear loose and overly aggressive. If I get no hands, AT FIRST I won't play marginals to appear rockish. In short, I want to appear unbalanced one way or the other and then play off that.

This only goes so far; those that are using pokertracker and a HUD will get a reasonable bearing after a while. But some won't.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 PM

Well that's an interesting perspective.

However, I think the well-rounded player can play any style that is profitable for the current table conditions and his current image.

I constantly switch between LAG and TAG depending on which is better for any given moment and/or opponent.

Sometimes I even play tight passive if I feel that is the most profitable style at the time.

And like hombre said, at the beginning of a session, the cards generally dictate whether my initial image is tight or loose. I don't try to force an image. I find it's easier to let an image develop and then work with that image.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:49 AM

this comes up a lot obviously... the first thing to know is that most everyone thinks everyone else sucks... secondly bad players make almost the exact same bad players vs tight players as other loose players ( improperly adjusting since they suck).

the best way to handle this situation more or less is to make correct decisions in a vacuum and be aware of what you've done at the table and specifically against certain opponents. Most importantly knowing who is adjusting and what they are being conditioned to respond like in certain spots. SOme guys will adjust quickly some never will, if you assume they will adjust to your tight or loose image and they havent you'll be in trouble and vice versa, this is a tough skill to teach or even talk about, this is largely whats known as "feel" or metagame, even though some players improperly apply those terms.

SO be aware of your image but dont do things because of it that are generally things you wouldnt think were good plays ie bluffing bad players, except in what would normally be good spots for it. So basically just make good decisions each time and be aware of your image.

That said having a wide range in most all spots is important, they we need play far from the unexploitable optimal vs 99%+ of players. U do want to be raising 3betting as many hands as you think u profitably can though and c betting bluff semi bluff raising cr'ing when you believe it is profitable SO your image is one where they cant know what your actions mean exactly about your holdings (ie they can always fold when u bet always bet when u ck ect), this way you get paid off lighter pre and postflop raising 3betting alot pre and betting/ raising many hands postflop
Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the reply guys – I re-read my post and it is not as clear as I thought.

I have been playing for many years both live and on-line. I don’t profess to know it all but I do consider myself to be pretty good at playing all types of hands in various situations. I feel I change gears pretty well and am a long term winner. I don’t know it all however.

Because of the amount of time I have played I hope I can flit between different types of play as and when I feel is necessary. However, if I had to put myself in a box I would say I am TAG.

The purpose of the post really was to get perhaps less experienced players to initially play opposite to their comfort zone. Not recklessly just out of their usual format. I just thought it would improve their play when they need to switch gears. Also, once they play their natural game people may not believe their moves because of the prior opposite play.

I think maybe I am thinking too deeply here and trying to be too cute. Probably nobody would notice anyway.

Oh well, perhaps I will shelve the thought for now.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:46 PM

I think the concept of player perception is really player image, and these things are easier to manipulate in a live setting. For example, whenever I play live the first thing I do is pretend to not know what the blinds are and start anteing every hand. You will not believe how many people immediately think you are a fish and will not adjust for a long while. This imo is greatly more profitable than playing some trash hand and trying to get it to showdown value for advertising expense.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 PM

I don't think most players you meet at low limits either live or online give two craps what kind of player you are. They're not paying attention. The only success I've had with truly manipulating an image to great profit is in my regular home games.

I change the way I play constantly. My goal is to adjust one step ahead of my opponents. Or just be switching gears for the hell of it. I like to keep 'em guessing. And the way I approach online is a different from how I approach a home game is different from how I approach a cardroom.