Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Making Someone An Offer On A Domain

I'm interested in a domain name that someone owns and is not being used. I asked if he would consider selling it. He said yes and he told me to make him an offer. What should I offer?

The site gets no traffic because nothing has been done with it.

It's a five letter dot com name xxxxx.com

It's sort of like a play on a word...like socializr.com...or flickr.com...sort of catchy

I don't know what to offer. I would like to offer something fair and don't want to seem like I'm lowballing. Has anyone had experience with something like this before?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Making Someone An Offer On A Domain

$50
Old 04-11-2007, 03:47 PM

There is no way to answer this question. There is some number in your head that you think is fair just start from there.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:08 PM

I work for a small software company and we were contacted by someone who had a domain very similar in name to ours. We offered him 1k so we could use it as a redirct. He wanted 5k, so we did not purchase it. I am not sure if any of this is revelant to your situation. Perhaps also of note is that it costs him very little to keep the domain registered.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:17 PM

If he is getting any kind of type in traffic, he'll probably want real cash for it.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way to answer this question. There is some number in your head that you think is fair just start from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
You probably want to start at about 1/3 of there.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:51 PM

I'm in a similar situation. I noticed during a whois search that the owner's contract will lapse in December - I've resigned to wait to see if that happens. Any chance it will or should I just make an offer?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 PM

research into what a ballpark figure is. but just make sure you initially offer him less than what he will accept. he should then come back with a counter offer, which will likely be his a bit above his reservation price. you then say that is slightly above what you are willing to pay, knock off 10% or so of his counter offer, he will accept, and bingo.

just do not offer too much in the first place. you are not in competition here, it isnt a sealed bid offer here, you just want to find out what is the least he is willing to sell for, and the only way you can do that is by him coming back with a counter off, and you can only do that by offering too little.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in a similar situation. I noticed during a whois search that the owner's contract will lapse in December - I've resigned to wait to see if that happens. Any chance it will or should I just make an offer?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there an actual site there or is it just a parked domain? If there's a site, there's still a ton of time for him to renew so I wouldn't count on it. If it's just a parked domain it may expire I guess, but if there's no content it's probably not worth much so you might as well give an offer now if you want it. if the timing really doesn't matter to you there's probably no harm in waiting.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$50

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I said that is because a name doesn't make the site. eBay, Amazon, Google, Yahoo would still be just as popular today if they had picked a name like Kooja.

Although there can be added value in 5-6 letter domains since so many are taken.