Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Frequent flop raiser plays back at my TPTK

Villain is 29/7/2.4 over 118 hands. He has been raising or reraising me more often than I'm used to than most players. I also think he is playing at a level higher than that of an average donkey. I don't know if he's good, but he's not an idiot. However, this may also mean he's smart enough to a) know I cbet a lot, and b) am somewhat put off when he raises my cbets.

At .25/.5 I was able to run over most of the competition with aggressive play. At .5/1, I find I'm getting raised and checkraised more often on the flop. Maybe this is specific to Absolute. Maybe this is something better players do more often, and I'm seeing it more as I climb the stakes ladder. The lower stakes players would simply call or fold, even the tight ones or the ones I thought were winners at .1/.25 or .25/.5.

Maybe this is all quite obvious. Anyway, here's the hand. What do you put him on, and how should I have played it?

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
Max Buy-in $200
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $96.53
King: $195.40
CO: $34.90
Button: $106.30
SB: $63.75
BB: $233.40

Pre-flop: (6 players) King is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">King raises to $4</font>, 3 folds, BB calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($8.5, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">King bets $5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $20</font>, <font color="#cc0000">King raises to $65</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $227</font>, <font color="#cc0000">King calls all-in $126.4</font>.
Uncalled bets: $35.6 returned to BB.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Frequent flop raiser plays back at my TPTK

His stats are close to a donk so maybe he's using your fold % to raise/rr you, nothing more sophisticated than that. TPTK isn't good enough to call a 4bet shove on the flop. As for his style and your concern, I came across such players when I first moved up to this level and the easy adjustment I made was to start checking and c/raising a lot more than just betting into them. If I bet I make the size bigger than in the lower stakes. Usually they become very transparent and will only bet/raise if they got something or check back at you if they don't. Make your cbets less transparent so you don't rep your TP too obvious.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:15 PM

OK. I typically make a pot-sized cbet, maybe pot size -$1. If the pot's $8.10, I'll make it $7 or $8. How much more would you make it? (I realize that I didn't bet as much as usual in this hand...couldn't tell you why.)
Old 10-05-2007, 01:18 PM

When you do that all the time, they know you got TPsomething.

Mix it up with check/raise sometimes, or have the cbets range from 60% to 90%.. just add some randomness.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:22 PM

OK, but you're not suggesting more than a PSB on the flop, right?

Looking back, I hate the size of my cbet on this one.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:25 PM

No I'm not, was referring to your posted hand.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 PM

I'd probably cbet more here and just call the raise. If he continues to bet when a flush or straight gets there I may low it down. I don't like re-raising this flop unless you know villain will call with TPWK, draws and maybe 2nd pair sometimes as well.