Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 01:11 PM

Default Legalize street drugs???

Is legalizing street drugs an option? If so which ones?

A few points for starters
1)Drug war is costing tax payers tons of money.
2)Drug war creates a huge black market network for organized crime to flourish.
3)Drug war doesn't seem to work leaving illegal drugs readily available for minors
4)Drug war makes criminals out of addicts instead of treating them more like alcoholics.

You can clearly tell how I lean on this issue. I want to hear others comments on what should be done. If so which drugs? Clearly pot seems pretty harmless.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Legalize street drugs???

[ QUOTE ]
Is legalizing street drugs an option? If so which ones?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes; All
Old 11-13-2006, 01:30 PM

5)Drug war radically drives up the cost of drugs, which for many people eats up a huge chunk of their money for no reason.
6)Drug war uses propaganda and outright lies to children about the realities of drugs, making their decision making skills later on much worse.
7)Drug war is completely unwinnable.
8)Drug war leads to horrendously poor levels of quality in the products; consumers have very little assurance of the quality of what they're purchasing, which can be dangerous.
9)Drug war creates a huge taboo around drugs and the scarcity of the black market forces decisions that are irrational with regards to drug use. (i.e., "omg, so-and-so has acid!? We gotta do it, acid never comes around!")
10)Worst of all, it makes it hard for people to get fun drugs.

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly pot seems pretty harmless.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. Alcohol is a thousand times more dangerous to an individual and to society.

[ QUOTE ]
If so which drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

All. Legalizing heroin does not mean that all of a sudden everyone is going to become a junkie.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5)Drug war radically drives up the cost of drugs, which for many people eats up a huge chunk of their money for no reason.
6)Drug war uses propaganda and outright lies to children about the realities of drugs, making their decision making skills later on much worse.
7)Drug war is completely unwinnable.
8)Drug war leads to horrendously poor levels of quality in the products; consumers have very little assurance of the quality of what they're purchasing, which can be dangerous.
9)Drug war creates a huge taboo around drugs and the scarcity of the black market forces decisions that are irrational with regards to drug use. (i.e., "omg, so-and-so has acid!? We gotta do it, acid never comes around!")
10)Worst of all, it makes it hard for people to get fun drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the worst:

11)The Drug War creates organized crime and drives up the rate of violent crimes to ridiculous levels.
12)The government likes to claim that buying drugs supports terrorism, but if their assertions are true (unlikely), it's actually the Drug War that's supporting terrorism by keeping the profits away from legitimate American businesses and in the hands of criminals.

[ QUOTE ]
All. Legalizing heroin does not mean that all of a sudden everyone is going to become a junkie.

[/ QUOTE ]

And even if you believe that government needs to stop/help these people, illegality is a terribly ineffective way to do it. Take the profits away from organized crime, stop making these people's lives worse by puttin them in jail and simply provide treatment and education.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:44 PM

13) Less prison space needed
14) Fewer innocent people killed/terrorized by erroneous SWAT team raids.
15) Less stupid supreme court rulings stealing more freedoms. (The cops can come on my property and inspecy my garbage can contents? WTF???)
Old 11-13-2006, 01:44 PM

Here is another problem I have observed. Some people who don't smoke pot don't like to be around it and some people who only smoke pot don't like to be around cokeheads or heroin ect(partially because it is illegal but more so because certain stigmas are attached). Well there is this phenomenon that the more heavily you get into hard drugs you surround yourself by more and more addicts. It becomes harder and harder for the addict to quit because the drug use has alienated him/her from non addict friends and surrounded him/her with addicts. This is just an observation of what I have seen happen to friends of mine.
Edit: I think legalization would help the stigma attached but not completely?
Old 11-13-2006, 01:57 PM

good addition to aid discussion:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rt=all&vc=1
Old 11-13-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't think that chart looked at all viable
Old 11-13-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The chart claims that pot is more dangerous than ecstacy. I stopped taking it seriously after I saw that.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly pot seems pretty harmless.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. Alcohol is a thousand times more dangerous to an individual and to society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your alcohol comment is dead on, but pot is far from harmless. While it is a fact that the chronic is non-toxic, it is a mistake to consider pot harmless. It's a myth.

That being said, I am in favor of all drugs being legal and for the banning of all drug advertising, including current over-the-counter drugs.

You can't make prescription medication available to the average idiot who will believe everything they see on TV.

If you're going to take something (other than for fun), a doctor should be telling you to, not an ad rep and a couple actors.

And when these recreational drugs are legal, the Gov't should not license or privatize manufacture and sales. Let the Gov't make all the cash associated with it and wave goodbye to ever paying income tax again.

How's that for stimulating the economy?