Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Which SF/Oak neighborhood is right for me?

I know there have been a couple other posts regarding where to live in SF and I've looked over those, but none of the OPs really fit my profile very well. I've been working in SF for about a year, living way in the East Bay and I'm looking to move closer.

Iversonian's Profile:
Bio: single asian male, 26.
Work: Financial District, couple blocks south of Market (Embarcadero stop)
Budget: $1200-$1700
Car: a must, and I hate looking around for parking. Willing to pay up to $200/month to garage it (factor into overall budget).
Space: I have a lot of stuff and will probably need 700+ sqft to myself.
Roommates: open to the possibility, but have a strong preference against. I would pay a hefty premium not to have one.
Nightlife: I don't go out too often. I work and study quite a lot. However, one of the reasons behind the move is that I'm looking to change that.
Commute: Hate. Outer Richmond, with its 45min bus rides, is out.
Weather: Tolerant of foggy weather. Other people have a comparative advantage in enjoying the sun. I'll spend the points elsewhere, like in being 5min closer to the freeway.
Crime: low fear of, but also low tolerance for degenerate types in my neighborhood
Gun: check

Also, plusses are:
Being close to Cal
Living in a newer building (I really hate the 1920s style buildings. Nice to look at, awful to live in)
Having restaurants, cafes, and parks close by (but who doesn't?)

When I say SF, I'm also including Oakland/Alameda/Berkeley (it's actually a shorter commute by BART than most of SF). You might be wondering why I'm asking, since I seem to be knowledgeable enough. Well, although I work in SF, I haven't actually been around town all that much. I mostly spend my time in the East/South Bay. Like, I don't think I've ever been in Outer Sunset or Outer Richmond before. I'll certainly take a good look around before I sign anything, but some advance scouting reports would be nice. Thanks in advance.