Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: *Official* Philadelphia E-A-G-L-E-S Thread (2007-2008)

Got my first live look at the Birds watching the first half (I still don't have TV yet, lol).

Thought McNabb and the offense looked fine, just too many penalties. Nothing really to comment on; they were just running vanilla stuff working on the no huddle.

Defensive line played well. Linebackers played very poorly; once PIT got the ball to the second level they were getting huge yardage. Gocong in particular was terrible. Dawk had a poor half. I thought Considine was ok, pretty standard for him, he's constantly around the ball and in the picture but sometimes [censored] up and doesn't make the play. But he had some nice tackles and batted down the one pass.

It reminded me a lot of the 2004 Steelers game. Ben avoids the blitz and completes a short pass into the second level void over and over and over again. We just got spanked on screens, crosses and even the one draw play they ran gained good yardage.

Pretty ugly half. We need to learn to tackle, not overpursue on the rush (Dawk is great at this; teach them man) and Brown still needs to learn to catch the ball.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Kolb looked really effing good. 26/36 259 1TD 0INT. Even several of his incompletions were the fault of the receivers.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kolb looked really effing good. 26/36 259 1TD 0INT. Even several of his incompletions were the fault of the receivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. He looked poised in the pocket, and only really forced a couple of throws. If the receivers could catch the ball and hang on to it, his line would have been even sicker.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bump for Steelers game

Madden just said that McNabb's throwing percentage when rolling out of the pocket is "over 100%". lol

Two big turnovers for the D.

[/ QUOTE ]
dunno if you know this and were just saying what it sounded like but he was refering to qb rating
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bump for Steelers game

Madden just said that McNabb's throwing percentage when rolling out of the pocket is "over 100%". lol

Two big turnovers for the D.

[/ QUOTE ]
dunno if you know this and were just saying what it sounded like but he was refering to qb rating

[/ QUOTE ]

he definitely said "percent" and QB rating isn't measured in percent.

i mean, thats what i thought he meant, but i just had to point it out cuz he's obviously losing it, comparable to Joe Morgan, thus the thread
Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 AM

I thought Kolb looked good, but his arm strength looks pretty bad. I didnt see him throw to many balls deep, and 15 yard throws took a long time to get there. That cant happen against real NFL players.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:27 PM

Really? I thought his throws had a lot of zip on them, especially for how he was placing them. Keep in mind, not everyone throws like McNabb.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:32 PM

Looks like the aussie dude is gonna be the punter this year. Doesn't look like Jeremy Bloom or Ian Scott is gonna make the team. On Daily News Live today they brought up the possibility of Kearse being cut. I don't think it will happen since they cut Scott but it wouldn't surprise me. He makes like $5 million this year and is really underweight now for his position. He doesn't have the speed anymore that he did when he first got into the league. Plus his knee swelled up in the preseason which isn't a good sign.

I have a feeling they are gonna shuffle the linebackers at some point during the season. Gocong is looking like Matt McCoy v2.0 out there right now.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like the aussie dude is gonna be the punter this year. Doesn't look like Jeremy Bloom or Ian Scott is gonna make the team. On Daily News Live today they brought up the possibility of Kearse being cut. I don't think it will happen since they cut Scott but it wouldn't surprise me. He makes like $5 million this year and is really underweight now for his position. He doesn't have the speed anymore that he did when he first got into the league. Plus his knee swelled up in the preseason which isn't a good sign.

I have a feeling they are gonna shuffle the linebackers at some point during the season. Gocong is looking like Matt McCoy v2.0 out there right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did see a list over on the website earlier today that listed all the cuts. Supposedly it was only a template. I really don't know; there are a lot of rumors out there so I guess we'll have to be patient until tomorrow.

Gocong really hasn't looked good. It wouldn't surprise me if they picked up a veteran linebacker at some point this season. I've even heard rumors that they may bring Trot back for the vet minimum (though I don't think I buy into that one). That said, we knew Gocong was a project going in. He's not even close to as far along as I was hoping, but he should keep improving every game throughout the season. It's not like it could really be a downgrade from Dhani last year.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:58 PM

Sav Rocca is considered the favorite for the punter job. Bloom really hasn't done anything in the preseason and is probably gone.

The Ian Scott thing is unsubstantiated, but it could be true. They really like Jeremy Clark, one of their UFAs. If they keep Clark someone has to go, and it would probably be Scott.

I really, really doubt Kearse would be cut. They bring up all kinds of [censored] on Daily News Live. Are they really going to cut Kearse in favor of UFA Marques Murrell? Murrell had a couple sacks in the preseason and will be on the practice squad, but not on the team over Kearse.

As for the linebackers, I doubt much is going to change. Gocong's problem is actually the opposite of McCoy's problem: McCoy wasn't strong enough and can't get off blocks. Gocong is a converted defensive end, so he's plenty strong, but he can't play in space. He overpursues. They can fix this. But there isn't really anyone else on the team that is starting caliber. I imagine they will take Gocong out on passing downs for McCoy.

Here's my shot at the 53 man roster:

QB (3): McNabb, Feeley, Kolb
RB (3): Westbrook, Buck, Hunt
FB (1): Tapeh
WR (5): Brown, Curtis, Avant, Baskett, Lewis
TE (3): Smith, Schobel, Celek
OL (10): Thomas, Herremans, Jackson, Andrews, Runyan, Justice, P.McCoy, N.Cole, Jean Gilles, S.Young*

DT (5): Bunkley, Patterson, Reagor, Ramsey, Clark
DE (5): Kearse, Cole, Howard, Abiamiri, Thomas
LB (6): Spikes, Gocong, Gathier, Bradley, Roper, McCoy,
CB (5): Sheppard, Brown, James, Tostolio, Barksdale
S (4): Dawkins, Considine, Mikell, Gaddis

P (1): Rocca
K (1): Akers
LS (1): Dorenbos

Practice squad

Nate Ilaoa, RB
Michael Gasperson, WR
Tank Daniels, LB*
Marcus Paschal, S
Marques Murrell, DE

*Could keep 9 offensive lineman and 7 linebackers, thus replacing Tank Daniels with Scott Young