Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 AM

Default AAxx is a pretty crap hand OOP (theory)

As you probably know I'm sorta new at this game heres a thought I had.

Utg limps I have AA27 rainbow in the SB and raise. He calls.

On most non 333/444/334 etc flops I am potting the flop and then more or less shutting down. Standard? That is the same way I'd play total air. I think the difference in EV between AA27o OOP and air OOP is pretty small in about 60-70% of situations.

Does anyone get 100bbs in on say a K72 rainbow flop, what about J54 with 2 spades?

Assume 200 or 400PL if it matters.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: AAxx is a pretty crap hand OOP (theory)

Another point.

5/10 PLO.

UtG limps, Button limps, SB has AA55 rainbow and limps.

Does this have some merit? I think it is a pretty good move. if an A comes SB probably has the nuts and a 5 isin't too bad either. Otherwise they are OOP with up to 3 other people in the hand and are check folding most flops. They will probably get the money in VS any set on the flop even if its limped also since everyone will think they have 2 pair or a draw(aces and whatever else flops).
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 AM

I probably wouldn't raise with raggy aces from the SB. Dunno if that's standard or not.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On most non 333/444/334 etc flops I am potting the flop and then more or less shutting down. Standard? That is the same way I'd play total air. I think the difference in EV between AA27o OOP and air OOP is pretty small in about 60-70% of situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you shut down on a 444 board?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On most non 333/444/334 etc flops

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you shut down on a 444 board?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably wouldn't raise with raggy aces from the SB. Dunno if that's standard or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

standard, for me at least anyway although i will raise wth other holdings as you are immediatly put on AAxx by the other players
Old 11-15-2007, 04:08 PM

very simple. AA-rags plays well HU when the money is shallow (shortstack limps for example). -> so raise.
a nice AA-doublesuited hand plays well no matter what -> so raise. ds connectors or high cards like AKQJ (especially when the ace is suited) play well -> raise.
raise some other hands like 8899 or A789 with the ace suited etc too.

dry big pairs play badly especially oop so the best course of action might be to limp and play a big pot only when u flopped a strong hand u might very well win a big pot against a smaller set anyway.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:55 PM

I think everyone agrees dry aces aren't a raising hand except as mentioned in headups situation.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:02 PM

a good old how to play aces thread!

I run best with aces when i DONT get overly aggro with them.... that means im often NOT 3-betting with them.

There is a LOT to be said for just smooth calling aces; almost regardless of strength.... yes you give up on most flops; but often top two or underset on ace high board just doesnt believe that you limped aces (esp if in late pos).

I often open raise; so it would be a mistake to not open raise with aces if thats your style. If your not open raising often then go for the trap play; metagame wise once your good opponents see you limp aces a few times you can gt away with representing aces on the flop.

Also take into account game conditions; if its tight passive post flop then your c-bets will win more often so you should ship more money in preflop;

Think about what you prflop raise means; with good quality hands you are betting for value; and betting to protect your hand with a bigger bet postflop.... in a loose game you cannot protect post flop; you either have enough to stack off or you dont... there can be arguments both ways here; do you get more money in for when you hit or do you slow it because you aren't going to hit often and have some degree of disguise when you do.

Of course all this goes out the window when you look don on a quality hand like AAJ10ds; in any game you should raise (just make sure you put in the occasional raise with other hands!!!); and stack off on a 7 high flop [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

According to my poker tracker Aces and Big pairs are my biggest winners; +5k with aces over 60k hands; of which 1450 have been aces. win % is 42% and i raise 73% of the time....(this is mostly on plo100)

Take into account how you feel... i do not think its an error limping aces.... if it is its marginally -ev... thus if your running bad then limp, if your running good then raise etc etc.... i dont get quite so aggressive postflop as other players do o my winning % probbly isnt as high... im willing to gamble that my BB/Hand with aces is as good as any [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

hope this helps
Old 11-16-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As you probably know I'm sorta new at this game heres a thought I had.

Does anyone get 100bbs in on say a K72 rainbow flop, what about J54 with 2 spades?

Assume 200 or 400PL if it matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

against 1 limper you should raise a lot of hands out of the SB.