Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 07:03 AM

Default Deepstacks - how much can I afford to pay for JT98ds?

Hey all,

just got back from a 1/2 PLO game, the stacks were quite deep as the action was fairly heavy. Everyone had at least $300, most players bought in for $500; I had $1300 and the player to my right had me covered.

One limper, player to my right raises to $10. I reraise to $25 with JT98ds. A cold caller, a reraise to $75, THAT gets cold called, and the original raiser now raises pot to $300 (the exact cold callers and their position is a bit hazy).

Should I dump the hand here? If I call, I still have $1000 to bet and position on a player who can double me up and I am 100% certain that he has a big pair, making my hand incredibly easy to play?

Actual results follow.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Deepstacks - how much can I afford to pay for JT98ds?

Calling here is fine. Folding would be bad. Your hand could possibly be favorite, but basically you're already priced in, unless you knew he had something like AAJJ or JJTK. Neither of you is probably much of a favorite. Please do not post the actual results.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Results - deleted by request(?)

Well, as LA_Price asked, I did not post the results, though I have to ask -- isn't the standard etiquette to include the results in a seperate post such as this? Have things changed that much in the months gone past?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:20 AM

Which line of action do you prefer, if folding is that bad? Push all-in so as not to get run off of a hand, or call with the notion of calling all but the very worst flops (IE low pair with no draw)?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which line of action do you prefer, if folding is that bad? Push all-in so as not to get run off of a hand, or call with the notion of calling all but the very worst flops (IE low pair with no draw)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop
Calling > Pushing > Folding

Flop
So you have about a PSB left?
If so, then you should be able to figure out when you have the correct odds vs AAxx to call based on simple pot odd calcs. If not, you have some work to do on twodimes.net

LA_Price,
If you think that your opponent has AAxx or KKxx, you can't really worry about whether it is AAJJ, etc since that is such a low percent of AAxx hands. Also here it doesn't much matter if it is a good or crappy AAxx since your odds don't change much.

Note also from the perspective of the AAxx hand, if that's what he really has, he could guess that you have KKxx or 6789 or JT98 so good luck for him figuring out what to do if the boards are:

Kxx
6T2
T98
77x
TTx

He should push all the time.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:31 AM

i like calling provided you dont think that one of the cold caller is going to move in (if they are deep stacked, if they have 500 or less than you just have to hope that they dont reopen the betting where the re raiser can move in)

assuming you get to the flop, despite the huge pot i think you still have plenty of money left to need to flop a decent hand to continue. i would not continue on all but the worst flops, i would want to flop decent before committing my remaing 1k. imo you should post the results. dont do so immediately as that will color the responses but give it a bit to get some responses and then post them (just my opinion but i think that is standard).

the trickier situation is what to do when you call the 300 and then some chain of event takes place where it is all in back to you. this is tougher but assuming you are adequately bankrolled for the game you prob need to gamble here. you may be a very slight dog to AAxx but you may be the overall favorite if it gets in 3-4 ways preflop (and it will have to be 3 ways for the reraiser to get to move in as someone will have to reopen the betting)

anyways interesting spot and im interested in hearing how it played out.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:37 AM

Post the results if you want to, i think it will just bias peoples opinion as to what the correct play is. You can never know if someone has a hand that dominates yours, but when they move in they usually have AAxx, KKxx and against that range your hand does fine and plays easily.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 AM

call, if they go all in call.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:53 AM

Results pls!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call, if they go all in call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear the results just cause I think probably everybody(lot of peopele) called and it was a super giant pot.