Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 AM

Default How bad did I screw up flighting the scramble?

3Man Scramble this past weekend.
28 teams.
The norm that I've seen in local tourneys is app. 10 teams per flight, paying 3 places each flight.

Saturday scores were as follows:

(7) 65
(5) 66
(3) 69
(6) 70+

I put the teams that shot 65 in a hat, and had the bartender draw out 4 teams to go in Championship flight.

So, I had 9, 9, and 10 in the flights.
Naturally, the teams that shot 65 and were in the Championship flight were upset.

How could I have done it better?

Thanks in advance for input.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: How bad did I screw up flighting the scramble?

I've mostly seen that you use the scorecard to determine the places. Typically you start at 18 and work your way backwards. The worst scores on 18 drop off into the A flight. Continue to work your way backwards until you have your flights set.

You could also send them on the course and play it out. Sudden death elimination with the first 4 teams eliminated going into the Championship flight.

Obviously, next time you determine the tiebreakers before the scramble starts.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 AM

I think given the situation there wasn't anything else to do. However, I'm not sure the overall setup is very good. It seems like it would really encourage sandbagging.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think given the situation there wasn't anything else to do. However, I'm not sure the overall setup is very good. It seems like it would really encourage sandbagging.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!!!
I am a club pro and i have never heard of flighting a scramble based on round 1 of the event. Personally, when i run a scramble event that is too be flighted it is based on team handicap (total of all 3 players). I don't even like doing that for a scramble, but rather use a formula that my old boss and I came up with....50% of the low player's handicap + 10% of the average of the remaining players. Barring any major rules constraints (ie. more than 3 driver per player or stipulated # of approach shots etc.) the low handicap is going to hit a majority of the counting shots. Under this format, no flighting is necessary and you can pay 1/4 to 1/3 of the field depending on entry $ and # of teams.

On a side note a very competetive and fun 3 man scramble format (if drawing from a large player base willing to form a team within hdcp constraints) is to set a min. total team index ....i have used 23 +/-, with only one player with an index of less than the max index for a 5 hdcp. on the course. The real kicker here is that each player must have a counting drive on a par 3 , 4 and 5, no other shot mandates. I have held many of these events and it is surprising how close both formats keep the scores bunched.

valid usga or state ga handicap required for my events involving cash & prizes.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:15 PM

I don't know why you guys bother handicapping scrambles. HUGE waste of time.

- most people are too ign'ant to know their real handicap...the average chop shoots 90 and assumes he is an "18", which is wrong, and other people will just flat-out lie and sandbag
- people are going to cheat anyway, unless very closely supervised

I would say that one solution is to make sure they have proof of handicap, but so many people in scrambles are hacks that probably 90% of the field wouldn't have this.

The Phoenix Suns' annual scramble includes such awesome prizes that they actually have a dedicated scorer in each group to remove the element of cheating as much as possible.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:26 PM

Sandbagging is certainly a problem.
Unfortunately, most of the scrambles in this area flight after the first round, and it is what players have come to expect.
Adding to the difficulty, a significant number of players at the small clubs in the surrounding area do not have a handicap, which would make handicapping before the event tough.

I would love to implement one of these formats in a future event, but excluding players w/o an official handicap would be a big obstacle to overcome.