Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm making no such assumption -- I'm simply saying that being hit by someone who MISSED their target is not a reason to choose one caliber over another. If you're hit by a full-velocity 9mm, it can certainly kill you as dead as anything else. If you're worried about use of a rifle, it's (presumably) because of the rifle's ability to perforate the target and maintain plenty of kinetic energy (something your typical hollowpoint 9mm doesn't do very often).

[/ QUOTE ]

First sorry for saying 9mm, obviously I'm referring to typical pistol or submachine gun calibres which comes in varying sizes - but still somewhat comparable.

And obviously I am also worried about the misses. Those bullets would go further, penetrate more barriers and generally be more hazardous to what you weren't aiming at in the first place.

Simply put if you own a shop, I'd really, really prefer it if you didn't have an AK-47 replica under the counter but instead something more controllable like a shotgun or smaller calibre pistol type weapon - if you intended to use the weapon in a personal defense situation should it arise. It would be a lot of safer for public in or nearby your shop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand what you're saying -- my main issue is with quantifying the phrase "a lot safer." I certainly understand that a rifle round has a great deal more energy than does a pistol round. But I think this particular safety issue is probably far, far down the list compared to other much more important safety issues such as familiarity, training, practice, the ability to hit your target etc.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm making no such assumption -- I'm simply saying that being hit by someone who MISSED their target is not a reason to choose one caliber over another. If you're hit by a full-velocity 9mm, it can certainly kill you as dead as anything else. If you're worried about use of a rifle, it's (presumably) because of the rifle's ability to perforate the target and maintain plenty of kinetic energy (something your typical hollowpoint 9mm doesn't do very often).

[/ QUOTE ]

First sorry for saying 9mm, obviously I'm referring to typical pistol or submachine gun calibres which comes in varying sizes - but still somewhat comparable.

And obviously I am also worried about the misses. Those bullets would go further, penetrate more barriers and generally be more hazardous to what you weren't aiming at in the first place.

Simply put if you own a shop, I'd really, really prefer it if you didn't have an AK-47 replica under the counter but instead something more controllable like a shotgun or smaller calibre pistol type weapon - if you intended to use the weapon in a personal defense situation should it arise. It would be a lot of safer for public in or nearby your shop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand what you're saying -- my main issue is with quantifying the phrase "a lot safer." I certainly understand that a rifle round has a great deal more energy than does a pistol round. But I think this particular safety issue is probably far, far down the list compared to other much more important safety issues such as familiarity, training, practice, the ability to hit your target etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well on that I can agree. The most vital thing with weapons is knowing how to use, when to use them and practicing to keep the skills up - and to respect what they can do. I certainly agree that 'untrained' handling most likely causes a lot more accidents than having a higher calibre.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am starting to think that, as usual, this is an orchestrated NRA tactic to try to drown out those arguments they have no answer to, by turning them into a discussion about super boring guns effectiveness comparison, or ballistics!

Common, you guys have got to have answer, not just ignoring the mental health issue of people wishing to be gun owners, by changing the topic! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, it seems that the NRA really has no worthwhile answers to the OP or any other post related to it. The ONLY thing then can talk about is ballistics.... LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've viewed the behaviour of hundreds if not thousands of college students.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many were "drunk and stupid" while in class? After all, you are talking (by your own admission) about carrying weapons AT SCHOOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and of that group that show up to class drunk, how many are also members of the group of students who have concealed carry permits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should they need carry permits? Isn't that just the tyranny of the state denying them the right to carry their own property?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, of course. I'm trying to work within his assumptions, here, though. If I don't, everyone bitches about "AC hijacks". If I do, I get stupid posts like yours. A real no-win situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets get back to the OP! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] AC'er or not, should mentally deranged people have access to guns? If the answer is no, then lets test all applicants gun owners for sanity! I am not sure where you live, but where I do some mentally deficient people are not allowed, and quite rightly in my opinion, to hold a car driving license. To own a gun seems even more silly than letting psychopaths as drivers out on the road.

I think that the problem we have here, is that most people desirous of owning guns would fail the sanity test, and therein lies the crunch! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> MidGe. Paging MidGe. I've asked multiple times. What is your sanity test? Twice you've answered other questions, then you've just ignored me. Please answer or stop using this [censored] about "Deranged people with guns." Thank you. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

MidGe. I posted that 3 times too. Thats 5-0 for me.

Five direct responses to mental health, you never answer.

I don't think this is making things look good for you.

When you answer our questions, you'll get answers. Before we submit to more government control, we'd like to know how that government control will work.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I would agree to, just to show you I'm not completely insane, is mandantory government training. Let these gun owners work with Law Enforcement and Military to become safer handlers of guns as well as better marksmen.

I would love to see possibly an 80 hour course, run over 10 Saturdays, then you get your concealed carry permit.

80 Hours is about the # of hours of my pistol training, and I think a great degree of proficiency could be had in that time.

Of course, unlike MidGe, I will, if anyone is interested, outline the course and course objectives.

But I don't want to start another topic, I really want MidGe to answer me.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am starting to think that, as usual, this is an orchestrated NRA tactic...

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL -- anyone else find it ironic that Midge is the one demanding that the rest of us be subjected to his very own brand of "mandatory sanity tests?" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am starting to think that, as usual, this is an orchestrated NRA tactic...

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL -- anyone else find it ironic that Midge is the one demanding that the rest of us be subjected to his very own brand of "mandatory sanity tests?" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, he believes that. But he can't discuss it LOL. If you directly question who defines "Sanity" he runs.

Well, sometimes he'll tell you a story about his epileptic friend, then other times he'll run.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really I am not getting this!

An OP which is very clear about what it is about: " mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters" turns out into a ballistic argument. The posters taking that line are completely nuts, imo. They would not pass a mental health evaluation!

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying your world view is so right that anyone that disagrees is mentally deficient?
Old 10-14-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Really I am not getting this!

An OP which is very clear about what it is about: " mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters" turns out into a ballistic argument. The posters taking that line are completely nuts, imo. They would not pass a mental health evaluation!

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying your world view is so right that anyone that disagrees is mentally deficient?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe, in this case, MidGe's belief is that guns are bad, therefore anyone desiring to own a gun must be crazy, therefore guns must be outlawed entirely, since no one sane enough to possess a firearm could possibly want one.

Its this kind of circular reasoning by the anti-guns that kills debate, not a few "gun-guys" (myself included) going off on a brief tangent about ballistics.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:44 PM

how come no one commented on mmy observation that once mental health check is required, then it must be done like drug testing, periodically or randomly or both.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how come no one commented on mmy observation that once mental health check is required, then it must be done like drug testing, periodically or randomly or both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drug testing, also, I'm sure that a full mental eval would require a home visit from the governing authority. Anyone smell Big Brother yet?