Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 10:17 AM

Default NL 10 Bottom set line check

How would you play this hand against unknown shorstack villain?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($3.75)
MP2 ($5.85)
CO ($8.85)
Button ($10.40)
SB ($12.70)
Hero ($12.55)
UTG ($9.45)
UTG+1 ($8.05)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero checks.

22 in BB, so just check to unknown and only villain in MP1.

Flop: ($0.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $0.3</font>, Hero calls $0.30.

I hope that villain has something like A8-A2. I check, hoping him to bet. I just call, hoping he will stay agressive and give his short stack to me. Should I have check-raised him (all in) here?

Turn: ($0.85) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.6</font>, MP1 calls $2.35 (All-In).

Not the most pleasant card. As played, make a blocking bet? I kinda lost my head here and thinking he only had $2.35 left after his bet, I c/r him all in here. Better calling and see river?

River: ($7.55) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $7.56
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: NL 10 Bottom set line check

When he overbets the flop it looks like he really likes his hand so i'd raise it too about $1.40

Getting it all in on the turn is fine. I aint folding a set against a SS NL 10 player
Old 09-06-2007, 10:43 AM

Lead flop. As played check/raise flop.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:52 AM

You have to raise the flop enough so that you can shove the turn. Or bet enough on the flop and turn so you can shove the river. Shoving flop with $.55 in the pot is silly, though. Also, going for the check/raise on the turn is bad. If he has a lone K, Q, or diamond he can take a free card and knock you off.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 AM

I'd agree with the above. In my experiance top pair gets overplayed at NL10 and a decent amount of the time they'll get AI with it. What i'm saying is you dont really have to slowplay because if they have an ace (AJ even better) then they are probably willing to get AI and lose to your set. Slowplaying sets is something i've experimented with and I think now it really needs to be based on information/reads about other people in the pot (eg. will they stick it AI unprovoked but fold if you show strength. And so on.)
Old 09-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Sometimes when you flop sets you're not going to win any money. That's a fact of poker. This happens when your opponents don't have anything. By slowplaying in these spots you give yourself the chance to win a bet or two when your opponent decides to bluff or catches a little piece on the turn or river. Sometimes your opponent will catch a big hand and you'll end up losing a big pot.

The point is, slowplaying in these spots doesn't gain you much, but can cost you much. However, when your opponent does have a hand he wants to play, now by slowplaying you can cost yourself a lot of money. If you have a set against a strong (but weaker) hand you should stack the guy. So instead of trying to eke out a few more cents when your opponent has nothing, just make sure that when he has something you take his stack.