Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Default NL10 TPTK falls on river > what\'s the thumb of rule here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 ($6.30)
CO ($7.95)
Button ($9.50)
SB ($9.90)
BB ($19.95)
UTG ($9.85)
Hero ($10.10)
MP1 ($6.85)
MP2 ($10.40)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $0.40, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.95) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.65</font>, CO calls $0.65.

Turn: ($2.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($2.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1.2</font>, Hero???

I've been raising a lot on this table preflop and postflop because of getting good cards preflop and taking them down preflop and catching good flops only to get a badbeat twice.
Thus people are thinking I don't have good cards all of the time.

Here, after a raise preflop and a c-bet which villain calls and after check-check on the turn I suspect villain has medium pair ,Ax or some face cards.

After the ace hits the river, I check because villain will not call a bet from me with medium pair and face cards. Is my way of thinking right or should I just lead out in case he is slowplaying some big hand? And after a riverbet from him should I just flatcall or checkraise. I think he will only bet if he has an ace and I have him crushed, but I also am thinking "Don't go broke with one pair.".
Old 09-19-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: NL10 TPTK falls on river > what\'s the thumb of rule here?

pretty good spot to just bet the river, about 2 dollars. He'll call with plenty. I mean, if you put him on a medium pair, then you also should probably expect that he'll check behind the Ace river with it, so by and large betting is the best play given what you put him on. An argument for check/calling or check/raising the river is the fact that its very likely that he has a busted draw and will bluff if u check.

As played, i'd probably put in a small raise (to like 3 dollars) and fold to a shove.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:06 AM

Call, this is a missed flush or some other 1 pair hand too much of the time and you wont get as much value from those lesser hands if you lead out. Raising is likely to get called only by someone slow playing trip 3's or some other type of hand that beats you and will fold everything else except maybe AQ/AJ, depends on the player really .

Don't put too much stock in villain's picking up your playing style. They are mostly looking at their own cards only. Also, if you've shown down good hands, people are less likely to think your laggy.

Edit: Renton's advice is much better than mine. LDO.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 AM

The point of checking the river is to get the villain to bet (bluff) with a hand he might not call with. So you should call.

If you don't know whether to call or fold when your opponent bets, then you should bet the river yourself because it will be an easy fold if you get raised against typical players.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point of checking the river is to get the villain to bet (bluff) with a hand he might not call with. So you should call.

If you don't know whether to call or fold when your opponent bets, then you should bet the river yourself because it will be an easy fold if you get raised against typical players.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I do like the check on the river, as you're more likely to induce a bet from Ax or a medium PP (which you have put him on). If you bet out, I think the A scares him and he folds most of those hands.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker 101... and works VERY WELL in this situation.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I also am thinking "Don't go broke with one pair.".

[/ QUOTE ]

this is crappy advice

you should be very willing to put your stack in with TPTK type hands, at this level you are losing crazy value not pushing them harder

[ QUOTE ]
I check because villain will not call a bet from me with medium pair

[/ QUOTE ]

doubt that is true

[ QUOTE ]
Raising is likely to get called only by someone slow playing trip 3's or some other type of hand that beats you and will fold everything else except maybe AQ/AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt he folds any Ax here to a raise

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while you want him to bluff, that doesn't neccesarily mean you should just call a bet

he's bet calling a lot of Ax hands, you'll be shocked at this level often he'll bet/call a 9x or 88 or something that makes no sense

[ QUOTE ]
then you should bet the river yourself because it will be an easy fold if you get raised against typical players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think its an easy fold at all if you get raised here, I'd lean towards call