Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Good Creatine/Other Muscle-Building Products?

Seems like everyone around here is terrified of "getting big," like they think if they drink a protein shake they'll wake up 30 pounds heavier or something.

Well, I actually *do* want to get big. I'm currently 6'0" 195, and muscular but still thinnish build-wise. I've been lifting/taking protein supplements etc. for a little over a year, and gone up 20 pounds from about 175 in that time-frame.

Now I'd like to get serious, and explore supplements beyond protein powder and a multi-vitamin.

I'm basically looking for creatine/glutamine/BCAA-type products - these are the supplements I've seen consistently recommended, but I'm open to anything. I've heard extremely good things about Creakic (mixed reviews on Leukic and Gakic), but they are expensive. I also had someone recommend Kre-Alkalyn, which is a lot cheaper and looks pretty good, given the description from the link.

As for pre-workout mixes, heard bad reviews on NO-Xplode, although it is the #2 seller on bodybuilding.com so apparently someone likes it. Heard a good review of MuscleTech NanoVapor. (Apparently MuscleTech is a good brand?)

And then there is a plasma-expanding product called PlasmaVol that I have heard simply rave reviews about, although again, very expensive.

What combination of these, if any, would you guys recommend? What products do you take?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Good Creatine/Other Muscle-Building Products?

I'd spend that money on more groceries instead. Creatine is alright to add, but you can get big just by lifting and eating.

Edit: What is your diet like?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 PM

Take creatine.

BCAA is your PWO drink.

If you wanna burn money, try glutamine. Its pretty meh. I noticed very little in terms of physique, but it did help me get over colds faster. Could be all in my head though.

Creatine/BCAA are almost must takes due to price and efficacy. IMO these really aren't much of a step beyond just food.

kinda is right though. Diet is much more important. If you have this dialed in to a decent degree, theres no harm in adding these.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 PM

Is there any real evidence that BCAA is better than any other kind of protein drink?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Oh I wanted to add something. When you get your creatine, just buy the plain old creatine and not the ridiculously overpriced creatine formula crap. When I first got into lifting, I made the mistake of buying Cell-Tech creatine formula. Which is basically creatine with a buttload of sugar in it. You can get the same effect by mixing your creatine into grape juice or whatever.

Like Thremp said, if you have the money to burn, Glutamine can be somewhat beneficial. It's supposed to stop catabolism to some degree, and will help your recovery rate. It's just f'n expensive. If it was cheaper I'd buy it all the time. (Also, check your protein powder because good stuff like Optimum Nutrition already includes this in their protein)
Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any real evidence that BCAA is better than any other kind of protein drink?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have it added in my PWO stuff.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:16 PM

I use Optimum Nutrition so that's good to know.

Edit: It looks like ON is 20-25% BCAAs as well - so I guess I should just focus on the creatine? Anything else you guys like? Pre-workout energy supplement? Gakic/Leukic? Etc.?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 PM

Sooooooooo..............

how's your diet?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:25 PM

Sorry.

Diet has been crap for the past 2 weeks because I've been moving but it's typically a good standard diet. I read Muscle and Fitness and other workout stuff like mad so I'm pretty down with workouts and diet stuff. Lots of tuna, whole-grain rice, chicken, steak, drink skim milk like it's going out of style (that's what I mix the protein in), I couldn't make myself eat fat free cottage cheese, but I think I'm gonna try mixing it with other stuff to make it more palatable...I used to have a real Coke fix but now when I crave one I go diet...cheat once a week...I eat a lot of green beans, asparagus, broccoli...Subway is my best friend for on-the-go, also Chipotle and Panera mixed in (healthy items available at all 3)...lots of Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine dinners...was eating a lot of peanut butter but now I think I will switch to natural peanut butter, less bad stuff.

Edit: I've gained 20 lbs. in the past year and am still pretty lean so I figure I must be doing something right here.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:29 PM

After workouts I usually have pop tarts with my protein shake for the simple carbs...good or no?