Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Donovan going back to Florida?!?!

This actually is not that uncommon, it's just that most of the flip-flops don't get the publicity of Saban/Donovan.

The college/pro decision is a tough one... do I want insane coin but no job security and a much tougher league, or do I want great but not insane money in a place where I am a god among men?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:04 AM

I understand the difficulty of the decision, but if you're that unsure you might want to hold off on PTI interviews and the like.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:19 PM

Meh, I don't want to castigate him like everyone else is doing. I actually like that he's staying put and building on his legacy. Not to mention that college coaches going to the pros generally bomb badly.

Since I'm not a huge follower of college sports, I've never understood why Pitino didn't go back to Kentucky, or why Spurrier didn't go back to Florida. Aren't they legends in those places? Why start over somewhere else (even if it was Spurrier's alma mater)?

I also never got why Roy Williams went "home" when he was on his way to becoming a Phog Allen-sized legend at Kansas, but that's for another thread I guess.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 PM

It's official.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 06-04-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, I don't want to castigate him like everyone else is doing. I actually like that he's staying put and building on his legacy. Not to mention that college coaches going to the pros generally bomb badly.

Since I'm not a huge follower of college sports, I've never understood why Pitino didn't go back to Kentucky, or why Spurrier didn't go back to Florida. Aren't they legends in those places? Why start over somewhere else (even if it was Spurrier's alma mater)?

I also never got why Roy Williams went "home" when he was on his way to becoming a Phog Allen-sized legend at Kansas, but that's for another thread I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do coaches ever go back? I can't remember a coach that ever went. Kansas is a huge program but UNC is still a bigger name in the College Basketball world. That's where he's from, and the program was in a funk. Of course he quickly fixed that. It's also easier to win at UNC, the recruits flock there much easier than Kansas which is good knows where.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:20 PM

capone0,

Well as of today North Carolina and Kansas are 2-3 in all-time wins, so there's definitely prestige in both places. I'd consider it a wash from a recruitment perspective, I mean I'm sure Chapel Hill is nice but it's not near a beach and I suspect the weather and bitches aren't a huge pull either relative to some other programs.

Addressing your initial question, there are of course examples of big-name coaches returning, such as Joe Gibbs to the Redskins, but not sure of anyone in college basketball off the top of my head.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:30 PM

It isn't a wash on recruitment. Just look at who UNC recruits vs who Kansas recruits. Yes you have Paul Pierce, Danny Manning etc. but they are noway near UNC recruits in the long run.

Another reason why Roy could leave is his young stars were on the way to the NBA in Hinrich and Collison. I still think for most UNC is a more presitious (spelling) job. Look who Kansas replaced Roy W with. A good but not outstanding coach. Then when UNC was looking, Roy, Larry B and George Karl were all lining up to get the job. Since 1980, UNC has easily been the better job. Kansas is great and all but still doesn't have the recent prestige. I know the recent coaching line of UNC pretty much comes from Kansas but I think I'm in the boat that thinks UNC is a bigger job then Kansas on top of other reasons of why he left.

There aren't many examples of college coaching returns. Other pros include Bill Walsh returning to the 9ers at another position, same with Larry Bird as well as Phil Jackson returning.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:31 PM

Waaaay easier to recruit at UNC (Jordan, Dean Dome, hottest chicks anywhere other than Austin, TX) than at Kansas (wheat fields and, um...).

Also, the UNC job had always been Roy Williams' dream job since he was a college student. More money too.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is a more presitious (spelling) job

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a terrible speller, but even I'm a little embarrassed for you here. It isn't even close phonetically. "prestigious".
Old 06-04-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Waaaay easier to recruit at UNC (Jordan, Dean Dome, hottest chicks anywhere other than Austin, TX) than at Kansas (wheat fields and, um...).

[/ QUOTE ]
Bolded part - wow.

I'm not knowledgeable enough regarding college basketball to really engage you guys in debate here, but if you're the third-winningest team in NCAA D-I history, I would think there would be some prestige there. So I was thinking more NC > Kansas than the NC >>>>>>> Kansas that you guys are implying.

Also, Santa Clara >>>> NC because that's where Nash went.