Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Summer Decision What Are Your Thoughts?

In a very short period of time, I lost my job and totaled my car. The semester is coming to an end and I need to figure out what I am going to do for the summer. I need to get a job that will pay for my expenses and another car.

My options:

Stay in this town and find a job. I will most likely be looking at about ten dollars an hour if I am lucky. I will also have to buy a car since the town has no public transportation. (FU rural Virginia)

Upside: Stay where I am at. Find a job and keep expenses down.

Downside: I would have to work almost 100 hours to pay all my bills for the month. This town is also very boring.

Go live with my parents for the summer. Again, I will need a car, but I will most likely be able to get my parents to take me too and from work)

Upside: Live free with my parents and possibly get a decent paying job.

Downside: The thought of living with my parents at the age of 24, coupled with the fact that all my friends that I still talk to that I grew up with have moved away.

Go to Los Angeles. I have friends out there with whom I could stay. My friend also works at a good restaurant out there where he can get me a job.

Upside: Bus transportation right near the house. This would mean I do not need to get a car, and can save for one.

Downside: It will cost me about 500$ above my normal expenses to live there.

Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Summer Decision What Are Your Thoughts?

If you can get a good job waiting tables in LA you can easily make up the extra $500. You'll have to be near poor people on the bus though.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can get a good job waiting tables in LA you can easily make up the extra $500. You'll have to be near poor people on the bus though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really mind that. I can deal with it for the summer.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:06 PM

I'm curious how someone who's been on this forum since 2004 doesn't know the obvious answer to this.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:08 PM

Go live with my parents for the summer. Again, I will need a car, but I will most likely be able to get my parents to take me too and from work)

Im going this route, if you moved out, and havent went back to live with your parents for a little, it really isnt that bad. I moved out at 18, went back when I turned 21 for a year, and it was pretty cool, saved a ton of money, got my laundry done all the time, cooked meals etc, it was like vacation. the flipside is you realize how big of a douche bag you were when you were younger and make things a lot easier on your parents by pitching in, not being a pain in the ass etc.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious how someone who's been on this forum since 2004 doesn't know the obvious answer to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Old 04-25-2007, 10:39 PM

If your main goal is to maximize your bottom line, i'd live with your parents, assuming you have at least a stable, civil relationship with them. Suck it up for a few months. You will have no overhead and can put everything in your pocket that you make.

if you move out to LA with your friends, even if you get a job that nets you say 150% what you would make at a job living with your parents, you'll still come out way behind because you'll be paying for that LA nightlife with your friends. That will be fun, but you'll end up with less in your pocket.

I see no point in the first option.

Swallow your pride and live with your parents for the summer if you need the money as badly as you seem to.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Im going this route, if you moved out, and havent went back to live with your parents for a little, it really isnt that bad. I moved out at 18, went back when I turned 21 for a year, and it was pretty cool, saved a ton of money, got my laundry done all the time, cooked meals etc, it was like vacation. the flipside is you realize how big of a douche bag you were when you were younger and make things a lot easier on your parents by pitching in, not being a pain in the ass etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great points here, I completely agree.

I am 32 now, and my dynamic with my parents has really changed. Obviously I don't live with them, but they're more my friends now than nagging, authority figures.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:45 PM

For whatever it is is worth, I lived with my parents during summers when I was in college (not that much of a different age level than 24), and I got on with them fine. I saved thousands of dollars, had my laundry done, my dry cleaning dealt with, awesome meals, and they respected my privacy. I got my own phone line, came and went as I pleased, and everyone got along great.

Go to LA with your friends and you'll spend a large chunk of what you make, no matter how much it is. Also, just for the record, not having a car in LA absolutely SUCKS.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if you move out to LA with your friends, even if you get a job that nets you say 150% what you would make at a job living with your parents, you'll still come out way behind because you'll be paying for that LA nightlife with your friends. That will be fun, but you'll end up with less in your pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of my sticking points. LA would be an easy choice, but the night life temptation would be difficult.