Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-01-2007, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Review, Advanced Limit Holdem Strategy (Tanenbaum)

[ QUOTE ]
If the grudge your talking about refers to the chips lose value issue with Snyder's book, what do you expect? Did Snyder ever concede his error?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was alluding to Mason's frequent veiled references to inferior rivals. I assumed he meant Cardoza and there was a history of animosity. No one except Mason takes Cardoza books seriously. D&B are the competition.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was alluding to Mason's frequent veiled references to inferior rivals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always curious where stuff like this comes from. I don't think you'll be able to produce one reference.

As for D&B, it's always been our intent to steer our readers towards what's good no matter who is the publisher and away from that which is questionable. We allow D&B to post here and talk about their products, and have already given good reviews to some of them.

MM
Old 12-01-2007, 03:18 AM

Default More on \"Illusion of Action\"

Hi Everyone:

I did a little more research (plus a friend had a better memory than me). The term illusion of action appears in HPFAP. Here's the quote from the Psychology chapter of the current edition:

[ QUOTE ]
Another example of this type of play is to throw in an extra raise early in a hand with cards that don’t really warrant it, in order to give the illusion of action. For instance, you can occasionally raise the pot with a hand like 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. This play costs only a fraction of a bet in mathematical expectation, but gains you a tremendous amount in future action on subsequent hands. However, this play should probably not be made in loose games where you are against people who play too many hands and go too far with their hands, because you get excess action anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the last sentence, this same paragraph appears in the original edition of HPFAP that was first published in 1988. We give a similar "illusion of action" example in SCSFAP which was first published in 1989 and which Ray Zee is one of the authors.

But it shows up in our work even earlier than that. In David's book Essays on Poker which was published in 1981 (and is now part of the book Sklansky on Poker this exact same example appears.

Also, notice that we are using the term illusion of action in almost the same way that Tannebaum is.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 12-01-2007, 05:10 PM

It has been a while since I read Positively Fifth Street, but McManus makes a reference to Cloutier saying bad things about MM and DS in his book, which is published by Cardoza. I don't recall MM saying anything out and out bad about Cardoza. In fact he gives the SS1 and SS2 10s.