Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 11:53 AM

Default pokerstars echecks.Can I used this without entering my SSN?

Never tried echecks and the only thing I'm not comfortable giving out is my SSN. Is this a required field?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: pokerstars echecks.Can I used this without entering my SSN?

Why don't you try it?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:34 PM

Why does it matter if they have your SSN? Any organization that wants to ruin your life can easily find the info on their own. We think nothing of giving minimum wage cashiers our Credit Cards but automated systems where human eyes will most likely never see your Social Security # is taboo. Wtf?

I don't mean to single out NLfool, it's just a general outrage I hear from many people about giving out that sort of info.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does it matter if they have your SSN? Any organization that wants to ruin your life can easily find the info on their own. We think nothing of giving minimum wage cashiers our Credit Cards but automated systems where human eyes will most likely never see your Social Security # is taboo. Wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd like to think you are joking but i'm sure you're not. protecting your information is never stupid. paying with your credit card at some store and giving out your SSN to a company that supports online gambling for americans are different for very obvious reasons.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:34 PM

id much prefer to have my cc number stolen (whoopdy doo call the cc company fill out some paperwork) than have my ss # stolen
Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM

So you're telling me that if PokerStars or whomever wanted to surrender info to the US Government on who played on their site, how much they won or lost and how they funded or withdrew from the site; a social security # would matter? I'm basically trying to say that you're putting yourself on the line by simply playing on the sites to begin with. If they want to screw you they can do so whether or not they have your social security #.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're telling me that if PokerStars or whomever wanted to surrender info to the US Government on who played on their site, how much they won or lost and how they funded or withdrew from the site; a social security # would matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not the point. identity theft is probably OP's concern. and it's a valid one.

edit: and i'm not talking about pokerstars stealing your identity. they have nothing to do with their echecks.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:59 PM

I'm not someone who fears identity theft but I'm not going to criticize those that do. If someone doesn't trust giving a payment processor their SSN then they shouldn't.

The SSN is used to verify your identity. If you don't trust the payment processor you can hardly fault them for not trusting you as a customer. They need to at least verify you are actually who you claim to be.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:20 PM

I apologize for sounding harsh and I apologize to OP. It's just that I guess I never have heard of anyone having problems with identity theft that wasn't some rube getting scammed from a Nigerian email. I also didn't take into consideration that PokerStars is not issuing the echecks on their own and using a third party company but like Henry17 stated, trust goes both ways.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:55 PM

they deposited the money instantly into your PS account, and sometimes it takes 2 weeks to 2 months before the third party company actually take out of your checking account, so SSN is required incase you close your checking account before you actually get billed and they have others ways to recover the money