Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 02:28 PM

Default (NL10) 3-bet pot, nut FD + overs

(Moved down a level to clear a reload bonus. Its funny how the games seem so easy after playing a bit higher - even though I wasn't even all that comfy playing NL10 a few weeks ago.)

Villain was almost unknown at the time of the hand. He seemed tight and didn't do anything out of line and seemed to play fine. He played few pots, I would say vpip would be 10-20.

I'm second guessing my line, and wanted to know what you guys would have done in this spot.

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($9.85)
MP2 ($9.99)
Hero ($10)
CO ($10.54)
Button ($1.99)
SB ($1.90)
BB ($12.64)
UTG ($20.67)
UTG+1 ($9.55)
UTG+2 ($20.62)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls $1.

Flop: ($3.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1.6</font>, Hero bets $10 (All-In)
Old 10-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: (NL10) 3-bet pot, nut FD + overs

Standard. Raising to $6 makes no sense since you'll only have $2.50 left on the turn, just shove it now.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:35 PM

Yeah, good shove. With his weak bet you might actually have some fold equity too.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:36 PM

mikey likey
Old 10-13-2007, 03:43 PM

Yup, shove it. Nice move.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:56 PM

What is so wrong in calling ? Even if i put Villain on QTo itīs a coinflip, and if he has a set he should do the betting while we are behind, right ?
Old 10-13-2007, 06:25 PM

What got me thinking was that Poker stove only gives me 50% equity against JJ+ AQ+, and I don't think he can do pre flop with much more. Of course we get more than 50% (2:1) since there is money in the pot. With JJ he might not even bet flop and with KK/AA he'd probably 3-bet pre-flop so this might narrow his range further. I guess I can make him fold AQ and maybe even KK (if he'd cold call with it) by pushing.

Then again calling makes it weird on a blank turn since we are commited. As Chargers In 07 said a smaller bet would be pointless. As CaptVimes said we have fold equity, which I like very much since I have ace-high.

Results:
<font color="white">He insta called with top set, I sucked out and he nagged about it for a long time. I should suck out more often, its extremely fun. </font>
Old 10-13-2007, 06:51 PM

THANK YOU FOR PLAYING THIS HAND CORRECTLY!!!

It makes me so angry when people refuse to shove here because "it might be a coinflip."

Yes, it might be a coinflip, but ONLY IF HE CALLS. The value in the shove is that you win by making the other guy fold a hand that you'd have to outdraw to beat--in this case, pocket pairs and any queen.

If you were to make the boneheaded call here, think about the likely outcomes:

Outcome 1: A diamond falls. The villian sees it and he gets scared and your action dries up.

Outcome 2: An ace or a king falls. The villian sees it and gets scared and your action dries up. (Unless the ace gives him two pair--in which case you lose a bundle.)

Outcome 3: You blow a bunch of money by chasing a draw that doesn't come.

There is no draw you can catch that won't scare the villian. The shove is the right play 100%. Yes, you might run into a set, but that's the worse case scenerio and you are still over 30% to win the hand.

Don't let anyone try to convince you to play this hand slowly.

SHOVE!!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:00 PM

Up against QQ+/AQ you're 41.526% to win. If you push this will net you $.-19. Factor in any kind of fold equity and crappy hands like KQs/QJs at times then this is a very +ev push.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 AM

VegasRunner, thanks. Those are some very good points and I have to agree now that shoving is the only option. I didn't really even consider that any of the cards that help me also kill my action if I'm ahead. Although I did hate the thought of calling, since I'd still be so commited and wouldn't want to stack off or fold a blank turn.

I was worried that if villains range from PF is mostly AQ+, KQs, JJ/QQ then he'd fold anything except the set for my push (since I figured pf might get him to think I have KK+) and I think Stove only gave me 25% equity against the set.