Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Etiquette question: sitting out after your button

"no i didnt miss the point. "

Hi BZ,

Then I'm confused about what you disagree with.

SweetJazz's point was that if you play one more hand from the SB than the BB HU then you will have gotten an edge by doing so. From his example that edge was 0.07BB.

Do you disagree that playing 36 hands from the button and 35 hands from the SB give you an inherent advantage of 0.07 BB?

Again, what exactly did you disagree with from his example and/or what was your point?

Curious,
Bill
Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 PM

Playing a tiny stack in HULHE can negate all edges, except the house rake edge. Playing when you do have an edge, and refusing to play when you don't isn't unethical, it's common sense.

I don't think playing your button and then sitting out is unethical. It is a fair strategic advantage. I don't do it as a nabit because I hate it when people do it to me, and it's not even close to worth it. I could make maybe $100 a month in EV doing this against better players, and changing my screename as often as possible so I could get action. I don't believe players who do this are dbs, or cheaters. It's annoying and insta-tilt, but so is playing against someone who is better than you.

If someone sits down who I know is better than me HU and I have autopost on (which I rarely do), why the hell would I play my BB? I know they're better than me, so it would just be giving them money. I fully understand why this pisses BZ and gehrig off (because there aren't many better HU players around), but I'm not just going to *give* a better player .02BB every time they make the mistake of sitting with me. Once I open the client, every decision I make is poker. As long as everyone else has the same strategic bag of tricks, it's all fair.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:13 PM

well in my post i say its reasonable if all edges are negated. but that is not the case at 5bb (outside of really small stakes). so my post should be in agreement with yours in that regard.

[ QUOTE ]
why the hell would I play my BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

um you realize we are talking about ethics here. the answer is obviously that it is ethical to do so and unethical not to do so. perhaps you are more interested in the reason why it is unethical not to do so, in which case, several earlier posts have tackled the argument.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:44 PM

the thing i disagree with is that we have an instantaneous advantage over our opponent. esp if its someone we havent palyed recently, we have a much much smaller edge if any at all, and are probably -EV over the first few hands while we are learning. but since we adapt and get better as time goes on and our opponents are dumb, our edges come in longer matches.

thus the difference between the ev of 3 hands and 300 hands is extremely high
Old 07-28-2007, 02:12 AM

d) You sit at someone's table, post the BB. Reraise them and continue on the flop. Then sit out after 1 hand.

Seriously, though. I don't see anything wrong with selecting autopost if there are some people you won't play. Just play an even number of hands before you quit. That's my only "fault". I find it hard to believe anyone would legitimately think I'm abusive. Heck, if someone disconnects and loses their button, I sit out to give it back to them.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:56 AM

Well I know for an absolute fact that A and B are completly unethical and completly douchey. Dean. and qsdaddy and poker girl z love to hit and run on me almost everytime and then brag that they do it, kinda like its cool to be a hit and runner (No one knows me to be a hit and runner or have any game selection so I guess I am setting myself up for failure thinking people have ethical values HU). It is my number one ultra tilt and I hate it. Hitting and running is up there with using a bot in my book. I dont understand and probley will never understand why people do hit and run. If your better then someone (Dean., qsdaddy) why dont you continue to play me as I always go off to someone for 10-15K because I wont quit you. This is what I just dont understand, if your better it is +EV to continue to play as you are going to make money so why quit then BRAG (Dean. and qsdaddy) that you do it. It is just to harrasss me and for it is my great disliking and almost borderline hatred for them and everyone that thinks hitting and running is good.

-MrGatorade (Crazy Mike)
Old 07-28-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I know for an absolute fact that A and B are completly unethical and completly douchey. Dean. and qsdaddy and poker girl z love to hit and run on me almost everytime and then brag that they do it, kinda like its cool to be a hit and runner (No one knows me to be a hit and runner or have any game selection so I guess I am setting myself up for failure thinking people have ethical values HU). It is my number one ultra tilt and I hate it. Hitting and running is up there with using a bot in my book. I dont understand and probley will never understand why people do hit and run. If your better then someone (Dean., qsdaddy) why dont you continue to play me as I always go off to someone for 10-15K because I wont quit you. This is what I just dont understand, if your better it is +EV to continue to play as you are going to make money so why quit then BRAG (Dean. and qsdaddy) that you do it. It is just to harrasss me and for it is my great disliking and almost borderline hatred for them and everyone that thinks hitting and running is good.

-MrGatorade (Crazy Mike)

[/ QUOTE ]

shut the [censored] up.

you're the biggest douche bag ever.

seriously, you have no place to talk about etiquette. Why don't you go back on your "quest" to find "bots"?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Flipping for the scraps against someone you normally have an edge against is profitable because if you lose it facilitates more +ev hands.
I'm clueless as to how it compares to the profitability of axing them to reload, but anyone doing so just because they don't want to play a neutral situation should understand that playing against someone bad/short makes you money (assuming the rake isn't savaging you relative to stakes I guess.)
Old 07-30-2007, 07:10 PM

"ean. and qsdaddy and poker girl z love to hit and run on me "

qsdaddy is the biggest dbag i have ever encountered for this reason and others. you probably already know this but he will play that first hand hyper aggro with any 2 cards on all streets, thereby winning more than his fair share, but if u happen to win this hand he cannot resist continuing to play you in order to even up. and thats when you have him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I know for an absolute fact that A and B are completly unethical and completly douchey. Dean. and qsdaddy and poker girl z love to hit and run on me almost everytime and then brag that they do it, kinda like its cool to be a hit and runner

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they do it because it's kinda cool to hit and run you. Not difficult to understand, but when you act like a d-bag yourself, people start acting like d-bags to you.