Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2006, 06:43 PM

Default What\'s your plan after this flop?

Party $33. Tell me your action here. Thanks.

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t580)
UTG+1 (t800)
MP1 (t810)
MP2 (t775)
MP3 (t705)
CO+1 (t1580)
Hero (t755)
Button (t685)
SB (t510)
BB (t800)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls t15, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, CO+1 calls t15, Hero calls t15, Button calls t15, SB calls t5, BB checks

Flop: (t105) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets t45</font>, UTG calls t45, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font> Hero???
Old 01-15-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Re: What\'s your plan after this flop?

This one too hard for you geniuses?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:13 PM

I hate this situation. Folding seems criminally weaktight, raising is bloating the pot where the turn will be scary half the time, and calling doesn't do anything except remove 45 chips from your stack and present you with an equally difficult decision(with, of course, some more information) on the turn.

I suck postflop, so push preflop.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:05 PM

I hate when the blinds lead. I would call here and make a decision on the turn. If there's an ace, queen, 7, 5, 9 or a spade, I certainly wouldn't mind mucking this hand.

I'm really interested to see the size of the bet BB makes on the turn to make a decision. I'm guessing utg is a donkey, as he limped, and now called. I think a lot of people can go broke on this hand. This is why I think a lot of people advise raising preflop. Better to lose a small amount preflop, say 60 chips, than to lose 200+ postflop.

Another option, as everyone here so loves to say, "no set no bet." You certainly don't need to win this hand.

I come across this situation enough to know that I am not very good at these situations, and it's probably a -cEV situation for me. Here's a spot that I can't tell you how often I fold to A9, and call some schmoe with 78. Bleh.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:09 PM

i really like raising here preflop, alas...i think you have enough chips to risk a raise and see where you stand. i dont like calling though because well..it's calling
Old 01-15-2006, 09:36 PM

I also raise here PF w/ position.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:43 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is a good example of why raising preflop is so important in hands like this. You have seven to the flop and, by my count, five still left in the hand by the time you have to make your decision. Raising to something like 60 preflop will hopefully get a lot of these callers the hell out of the hand. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but I would like to know why you just limped...I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it, but why allow this many to the flop with tens?

With this many still left in the hand and a flop with this texture, I'm folding.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:53 PM

I would call the flop. Limping preflop isnt terrible also.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to beat a dead horse, but this is a good example of why raising preflop is so important in hands like this. You have seven to the flop and, by my count, five still left in the hand by the time you have to make your decision. Raising to something like 60 preflop will hopefully get a lot of these callers the hell out of the hand. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but I would like to know why you just limped...I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it, but why allow this many to the flop with tens?

With this many still left in the hand and a flop with this texture, I'm folding.

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually limp here because there's not enough dead money in the pot to get into a fight with TT. Plus, it's early. I don't like real difficult postflop decisions when I 8 table.

I raised to 200, and everyone folded.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:53 PM

I think you're probably best, but I'd probably just call and then decide after the turn.