Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: family issue, and personal philosophy

I highly doubt that the verse numbers change. Just the phrasing and word choices within sentences of different translations change. The Message version of the bible has "his love endure forever" as "his love never quits" but the verse number doesn't change.

There's probably a translator's rule never to mix up the verses that would seem logical in view of the hyper sensitivity with which most translators approach translating the bible, but at this time without directly researching that topic I can't prove it. Not to mention locating anything to quote scripture would become a practical nightmare for ministers/evangelists/religious scholars and anyone else trying to compare bible passages.

There are bibles out there that I think they are called parallel bibles. You can have the New King James Version on the right side of the page and The Message version on the left side to compare readings. Some bible experts actually advise you to read the whole bible then get different versions and compare passages. Then again you have some people that prefer certain versions over others.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the fact that this message is dead center in the bible is no mere coincidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

so I can check the ones around here, do you mean dead center by page number, verse count, word count or letter count? oh, and do I count illustration pages in any of those?

luckyme
Old 11-28-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe the fact that this message is dead center in the bible is no mere coincidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

so I can check the ones around here, do you mean dead center by page number, verse count, word count or letter count? oh, and do I count illustration pages in any of those?

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

I came across this information about it being the central verse about 3 or 4 years ago and then I think I saw it again in the concordance margins of a friend that had the King James Version.

I just found this link on the web explaining a little more:
http://www.snopes.com/religion/center.asp

There's also another site on the web with a little slide show but I'd have to do some digging to see if I can find it again.

Edit: Here's the link to the slideshow. Enjoy!
http://www.tedmontgomery.com/Psalm118/index.html
Old 11-28-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

I came across this information about it being the central verse about 3 or 4 years ago and then I think I saw it again in the concordance margins of a friend that had the King James Version.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so it's an english translation ( all of them or just KJV)?. Or does it work in all languages and formats ( I'm thinking larger book headings may push around a page or two, for example).

luckyme
Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM

the Snopes link you posted shows nicely why its not that extraordinary. If you use different versions, which include more or less passages, then the center verse changes.

Also- Some versions of the Bible contained entirely different books. Included some that are not included.

Its hard to see significance in what version one particular Bible has as the center verse (also depends on how you define the center) when there are many other versions of the Bible with completely different centers.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just found this link on the web explaining a little more:
http://www.snopes.com/religion/center.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

You've gotta love it when people post a link to Snopes that refutes their point - in order to support their point.

Ugh, talk about a pet peeve. I once made a bet with someone over a myth, and she pointed out the Snopes article declaring it false and said that because the article said it was "very unlikely" to be true, there was still a chance it was true and therefore she didn't have to pay up.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:25 PM

See you guys are all interested in making things impossible while I'm interested in the possible.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See you guys are all interested in making things impossible while I'm interested in the possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a matter of perspective. I would argue that you want to make the ordinary seem extraordinary and find the Holy in everything you read. (confirmation bias)
Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 PM

Looking for information isn't the same as "making things impossible." If I believe I can fly by flapping my arms, then I flap my arms and fail to fly, I'm exploring the possibilities. It just so happens that flapping my arms and flying isn't a possibility (except in my dreams, where it happens rather often).

Similarly, since the verses were added to the Bible centuries after it was written, the authors can't have intended any given verse to be the central verse.

But let's not dissemble. You have an agenda, and you are pushing that agenda. In general I won't bother to refute you because I still think you might be a troll. But even if you aren't, you toss out claims because you think they may possibly be relevant, and you don't do your research to find out whether they actually are - leaving us to do the homework and discover that there's nothing to them. This is just plain rude, particularly when you're pushing that agenda.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote: "Similarly, since the verses were added to the Bible centuries after it was written, the authors can't have intended any given verse to be the central verse."

If you think about it that's exactly why its remarkable. They numbered everything after the pages were written and find it in the center. It seems to indicate an inherent order in the book. I didn't know til today that the numbers were added hundreds of years later, but the fact that they were doesn't detract one whit.

Why not just skip my threads? If you disagree with everything I say then why waste your time reading it? I won't take offense and I'll make a pact to stay out of posts that you initiate. Pact?