Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Too passive?

I’ve either been doing really well at the MTT lately, or just running hot. Still, I feel like there are a few situations that I don’t know how to play, so I end up just defaulting to passive play. I’m usually the most aggressive in these late stages, the pushbot if you will. Huge on the re-push. Exept in these situations.

One situation that comes up a lot. I’m say 2nd/3rd in chips with 16 people left, typically Stars $20/180. M=16 or so. Guy with 7-10 bb miniraises from mid position to me, either button, SB or BB. I’ll be holding a bottom 30% type hand, q6, 95, even 56o. Between the likelihood that they are looking for a RR with their monster, knowing I’m trying to put them to the test most times, or the fact that I don’t think I have very good fold equity, or a hand I want to play a flop with against someone that’s down to pushing almost anything, I’ve been just folding these. I know I have pot odds to see the flop, but with low M’s I feel like I get stuck in the either push PF, or look to push on flop (a reverse stop n go, if there is such a thing).

Ultimately I feel like I’m a better player and I can steal more blinds to make up for these chips lost, and I want to be the one who is raising, not calling. Moreover, folding in these situation I feel – perhaps incorrectly? – shows I have some reserve and increases my fold equity for my later pushbotting. Is it ever alright to fold any hand to mini raise on the SB? Say opp is 22/10, ie very standard.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Too passive?

if your already known as the pushbot on the table it would be very likely people start to limp their monsters in the hope you will raise
fold here is good
Old 03-13-2007, 10:59 AM

pushbot might be a bit strong, but anyone paying attention has to know I'm pushing the table around, or getting a statistically unlikely number of good hands . . .
Old 03-13-2007, 11:28 AM

I think your fold is correct here. I might call every now and then from the BB (closing the action heads-up) if I know my opponent is likely to fold post-flop b/c he is trying to sneak into the money.

When someone that short makes a raise (less than all-in), I usually interpret it as strength.

Like you said before, I'd rather the bubble last a while anyway so I can gobble up some chips.