Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: The Myth of Meaning

[ QUOTE ]
that god did in fact love me .. I am granting this in the OP
HOW does that add meaning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Religions, most, claim that God loves you. That he put you here for his purpose. They do not claim they know that purpose. They claim that just the fact that you were put here for his purpose gives your life meaning. That meaning being God is usuing you for his purpose whatever it might be. For a person that seeks but cannot find a reason for his own existence, this thought that God loves you and is usuing you can be comforting and give your life meaning.

pokervintage
Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They claim that just the fact that you were put here for his purpose gives your life meaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see how that adds meaning for him, he's having fun doing his thing.
How finding out I'm here to 'serve/roleplay/entertain/whatever' at the pleasure of some president, mad-scientist or god adds meaning for me is the baffling part. How powerful does the controller have to be before they can be considered to have added meaning, if mommy's love doesn't do it? Could a god that can't go backwards in time add meaning? Could One that can't save or drown little kids at will add meaning?
Is it really some form of "ohhhhhhwww, you're one powerful sob and you love me... well, whew, that adds meaning". Rather like the attraction of some women to powerful older men ( but, again, even there the 'meaning' is coming from the woman).

luckyme
Old 10-10-2007, 02:28 PM

People need to feel important, even though the vast majority are really insignificant (including me). People who can't overcome this compulsion and be content with reality need an outlet for it. Having an omnipotent imaginary friend is good enough for some of them. Others have a stronger compulsion or need to see tangible evidence of their importance. Some try methods of social dominance (fancy car, etc.), some attach themselves fervently to causes or groups (religious and nonreligious), and some are physically abusive for fun.

If you don't have a serious disconnect between your perception of your importance and your perception of what it should be, then fixing it holds almost no meaning for you.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:45 PM

It's not just the love that adds meaning. Its that a loving god put you here for some greater purpose than you can understand is what adds meaning. "God has his reasons" is the serve all religous arguement.

pokervintage
Old 10-10-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not just the love that adds meaning. Its that a loving god put you here for some greater purpose than you can understand is what adds meaning. "God has his reasons" is the serve all religous arguement.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if I understood the equivalence of 'meaning' and 'purpose' ( which I don't equate), arriving at -
"it has a meaning/purpose that you can't understand" hardly seems to 'add meaning' to my life.
Rather it seems to take it away. I'm sailing along, trying to live a good life ( even many meanings of that), then they tell me, "Nope, none of that counts, but you'll be happy to know that there is this entity that set you up in this scenario, knows how it's going to turn out oh, and he loves you, but not in a stalker/kidnapper sort of way ...and there you have it, now you have meaning."
Whaaa?

luckyme
Old 10-10-2007, 03:13 PM

You have to tell us what you think adds meanng to your life. For many people "feeling loved" does add meaning.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:13 PM

"Its a great method of social control as well as it gives people structure. I suspect we can all agree that structure and goals make our lives better. Religion fills in those blanks. It fills in the void for those looking for meaning."

Can't help but think Lenin, Stalin and Hitler would be the first to agree with you here...If you stamp out Churches you can create a vacuum of power and just about anything could fill it...This is sort of similar to a coup d'etat...
Old 10-10-2007, 03:17 PM

It's more like if you stamp out rational thought so people can't understand the world or even how to try to understand the world, you create a power vacuum for anybody with an explanation people will accept, and supernatural nonsense spun the right way filled it.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to tell us what you think adds meanng to your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didnt I think of that? echo..echo..echo..

pokervintage.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to tell us what you think adds meanng to your life. For many people "feeling loved" does add meaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how that would help since the OP question is "HOW does knowing there is a god adds meaning to my life?" ( the meaning I witness in life is meaningless they tell me) which is a fact statement by theists which I am not disputing and I'm trying grasp what they mean.

If other entities loving me doesn't add meaning ( their claim) then why does this one big control freak loving me add meaning? That It has a purpose for me doesn't add purpose at my level... especially since I'm apparently incapable of understanding his purpose.
( I'm not equating purpose and meaning, it's just that they are sometime put together like that .. IT's purpose for me adds meaing for me.)

luckyme