Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 PM

Default best way to make money on limited bankroll

say like ~200 dollar bankroll.

is the best way to make money playing 10NL or sngs?

my current plan is to grind the 10.50 HU sngs on stars and then move up when rolled for it, and then switching to cash at 1,000.

whats more profitable, in your experience?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: best way to make money on limited bankroll

full table sngs
Old 12-01-2007, 02:11 AM

It depends on your win rates and how well you multitable. These are not things that other people could know about you.

If you want to make a fair comparison of the stake levels, you can try to choose stakes with the same comfort level, where

comfort = bankroll * win rate / (standard deviation ^2).

One interpretation is that if you stay at the same level without withdrawing (or learning), then your risk of ruin is about e^(-2 * comfort) ~ 1/7^comfort.

For example, if you have 300 BB, and your win rate is 2 BB/100, and your standard deviation is 15 BB/100 (reasonable stats for full ring limit), then your comfort level is 300 * 2 / 225 = 2.67. If you play SNGs with 40 buy-ins and your ROI is 20%, and your standard deviation is 1.7 buy-ins (typical for 9 or 10 player SNGs), then your comfort level is 40 * 0.2 / 2.89 = 2.77. So, the risks of playing those games would be comparable.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:38 AM

In my experience, and it's taken a lot of practice, study, game adjustments, etc, short-handed NL cash games against bad players can be like printing money.

If you are 2-3 handed, you basically have the guy all to yourself, and you can maneuver him into a single, huge mistake for his whole stack.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:56 AM

I've been grinding NL cash games my whole on-line career, and that started with a $90.00 deposit.

If you prefer cahs games, then play those. If you prefer SnGs, then why are you planning to switch?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been grinding NL cash games my whole on-line career, and that started with a $90.00 deposit.

If you prefer cahs games, then play those. If you prefer SnGs, then why are you planning to switch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps because the money potential would seem to be higher? If you are playing a SnG, you are automatically limited in how much you can make and no new players can join the table when someone leaves. In a cash game, your potential earnings are not capped and new players can take the place of those who leave. At least that is my guess as to the OP's motivation.