Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 04-29-2007, 01:21 AM

Default The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

I couldn't beleive some of the strategy I heard at my 6-12 game today. Flop is checked around. I turn the nut straight in the BB w/ 5-7 in a 5 way pot and lead out, get called by button. The 6 pairs on the river. I bet, button raises and I three bet and MHIG. A couple of players try and lecture me on how I shouln't have 3-bet after the board had paired and that I play bad. They call down with under pairs & gutshots and they won't 3-bet without the nuts?

I know people have probably heard alot worse. These players logic just boggles my mind.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

Well, my personal favorite is someone saying something like this "I was afraid of a possible flush draw making it so I didn't bet the turn."
Old 04-29-2007, 02:31 AM

I actually don't mind people trying to tell me I made a bad play at a table, why not have everyone think you are a donkey and call you down when you make your staights and obvious flushes. I had a player lecture me once for 3 betting with 99 on the button after i out flopped his TT... Nothing like a tilty table to brighten the day...
Old 04-29-2007, 02:37 AM

This is my personal fav from a $500 restricted buy-in NL game -

It involved a player I was in a pot with who turned a straight flush against my A-high flush on a Jc7h10hJh5c board - he managed to keep the pot as small as possible (driven in part by his oscar winning performance after the turn), leaving a significant amount of money on the table.

When I saw his hand, I commented half-joking, half-serious that it's completely inexcusable that I had any money left after that hand.

He responded in a totally serious tone - "I didn't want to bet out more because I was afraid you'd fold quads."

(?!?)

On a high hand jackpot table no less - if I had quads, we would have split a $100,000 jackpot (quads beaten).

The entire table was in hysterics after that comment. Good times.

- T
Old 04-29-2007, 02:46 AM

I heard a 5/10 player say this, at Motor City poker room in Detroit Michigan, two days ago. "I hope for the miracle cards."
Old 04-29-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On a high hand jackpot table no less

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony thats why- because he was afraid of not hitting the jackpot. I've seen people check the whole way down including last to act on the river with AK on an AAAxx board because they were afraid someone would fold 1010+ and in your case he probably didn't realize that the only hand beating JJJJ is a two card SF so you can't lose wiht quads.

I've heard so many retarded things at the table but one that I remember right now although not really strategy related: The WSOP or some poker show was on tv and it was an all-in preflop hand AA vs some other pocket pair and the guy next to me looks at the percentages and was like OH MY GOD... i ALWAYS thought AA vs an underpair was a 4-1 favorite... Me: yea it is... Him: no look it says 80% 20%... Me: yea... 4to1 him: no I really though it was FOUR to one. then he rolls his eyes and looks at me like i'm dumber than he originally thought.

Magoo: I always hope for the miracle cards
Old 04-29-2007, 03:33 AM

"I never raise preflop. You never know what you have until you see a flop." I overheard this after the guy got his aces cracked by 59o when he did not raise preflop. He then berated Mr. 59o for playing crap.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:40 AM

I had some guy I 3bet PF suggest that I check behind JJ on a JTx-x turn

Him: I can't believe you bet that turn with top set.

Me: Huh?

Him: Your hand is so strong.

Me: Huh?

Him: What if I had a gutshot or something?

Me: Yeah? Thats why I bet?

Him: But don't you want me in there? With a gutshot?

This was a 10/20 LHE game at a crappy tournament series (pendleton poker round up). God bless B&M donkeys.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:48 AM

Just tonight some guy who claimed to have played 25/50 NL for many years told me any game with more then 3 loose players is unbeatable in the long run.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:09 AM

Not an uncommon statement at the wonderful $2 tables here in Florida:

Never fold before the flop because you never know when you might hit something.