Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Big draw on the turn in big pot

"man i only have ATs no one in their right mind caps this," is exactly what you want them to think, so capping with this hand at times is okay.

I am leaning more towards a turn check with your read here than a bet here. If you are that suer he is going to bet that is. Even if it does get checked through it is not the end of the world as the pot is still big and you have a great drawing hand. That said, you betting the turn isn't bad either IMO.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Can someone explain why we would possibly want to bet the turn here? I think the following statements are most likely all true, no?

We are currently not the best hand.
The button is not going to raise a worse hand than ours (thus driving out better hands than ours and making us best).
Unless almost everyone calls we don't have an equity edge.
It is unlikely than a bet is going to free up an out that could make us best.

The last point might be the only debatable one?

Is it because a bet disguises our hand more so we really kill when we hit our draw? But if lots go to the river and our draw card comes up, maybe a villain won't put US on making our draw but they'll likely put SOMEONE on making their draw, so how does this really help?

GcluelessnoobG

ETA: Why is everyone so concerned about this turn checking thru (i.e. check if 95% sure button will bet for us)? This is not even close to being a disaster and is probably a lot more closer to what we'd like to happen...
Old 11-30-2007, 03:36 PM

Results are that the Button had KJ, and a mp limper had A7.An A came on the river and the mp won a huge pot.I find myself in these situations quite often where I have a big draw in a huge pot and I was wondering if this is the type of hand I need to be more aggressive in.I believe that had I bet, the button most likely would have raised and maybe? the mp would have folded.I was wondering if this is the time to try and buy a few outs with aggressive play, or am I just pissed because I lost.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ETA: Why is everyone so concerned about this turn checking thru (i.e. check if 95% sure button will bet for us)? This is not even close to being a disaster and is probably a lot more closer to what we'd like to happen...

[/ QUOTE ]

We could have 12 outs (9 spades and 3 more jacks) against 5 opponents. We need 3 calls for this bet to be break even, and 4 to start making money. Gobbley is right; the turn checking through is far from a disaster.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM

Well, yuck, that was a disastrous result. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] A7 would be getting immediate 18.5:2, maybe almost enough to continue regardless?

GcluelessnoobG
Old 11-30-2007, 04:51 PM

Dont fret OP, you will win these pots often enough with your draws and they are so big that just getting a few of them will make for a nice win.