Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

[ QUOTE ]
If Jim Harbaugh didn't make the comments about academics etc..earlier this year, does anybody think he would be a candidate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking? He's had 1 year (not even) at scholarship program. He might be 5+ years down the road (or might have been), but to hire him at this point would be sheer lunacy. Granted, they're winning about as many games as I thought they would with that schedule and talent, so it's not like I think he is necessarily doing a bad job, but there's no real track record to speak of and absolutely no reason to take a chance. Plus it would be a total Notre Dame move to do something drastic because of a win (or "win") over USC.

People need to be longterm about this. Tedford has turned a crap program into an excellent one. The fact that "OMG he's lost 4 games!" isn't entirely irrelevant but if you're moving him from 1st to out of consideration after his team wound up 6-4 you're just way too short-sighted. With all the information we have you really shouldn't be moving people that drastically, much like the Heisman Race in week 10.

I know you specifically may not have done that with Tedford, but lots of people have and I really hate that 5-minute attention span.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be shocked if Michigan ends up with Greg Mattison who is flying under the radar

He is currently Florida's co-defensive coordinator. He was a d-line coach and defensive coordinator at Michigan from 1992 to 1996. He's a midwest guy. His son plays at Iowa right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be shocked at Mattison. If memory serves, he left UM to take the same job at ND. I would hope Mattison is not even a remote option.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you joking? He's had 1 year (not even) at scholarship program. He might be 5+ years down the road (or might have been), but to hire him at this point would be sheer lunacy. Granted, they're winning about as many games as I thought they would with that schedule and talent, so it's not like I think he is necessarily doing a bad job, but there's no real track record to speak of and absolutely no reason to take a chance. Plus it would be a total Notre Dame move to do something drastic because of a win (or "win") over USC.

People need to be longterm about this. Tedford has turned a crap program into an excellent one. The fact that "OMG he's lost 4 games!" isn't entirely irrelevant but if you're moving him from 1st to out of consideration after his team wound up 6-4 you're just way too short-sighted. With all the information we have you really shouldn't be moving people that drastically, much like the Heisman Race in week 10.

I know you specifically may not have done that with Tedford, but lots of people have and I really hate that 5-minute attention span.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't advocating Harbaugh, for the reasons you mentioned, plus others, I was just curious if anybody thought he would have been given some consideration.

BTW, I would take Tedford in a second. Cal is not an easy program to attract top recruits. The job he has done there is nothing short of amazing, especially consideration the state it was in when he arrived.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]http://media.2theadvocate.com/images/180*197/les+miles_081606.jpg[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] jagerbombs
Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guys on the radar for a higher head coaching job

Mark Mangino
Charlie Strong
Bo Pellini
Wil Muschamp
Brent Venables
Jumbo Fisher
Jim Harbaugh
Gus Malzahn
Mike Leach
DeWayne Walker
Steve Sarkisian
Greg Davis
Ron Prince
Gary Pinkel

I wouldn't be shocked if Michigan ends up with Greg Mattison who is flying under the radar

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have a hard time making a case for any of those guys getting the Michigan job. Not to take anything away from any of them (except maybe Pinkel).
Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see Michigan hire Lou Holtz as next head football coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg die in a fire.

Lou Holtz actually was claiming that the Big XII was the best conference in football because they have 3 teams in the top 5.

Never mind the bottom 8 teams would probably have losing records in the MAC.

He is so retarded, and old.

I think you are joking, but if not, I hope you die in a fire [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guys on the radar for a higher head coaching job

Mark Mangino
Charlie Strong
Bo Pellini
Wil Muschamp
Brent Venables
Jumbo Fisher
Jim Harbaugh
Gus Malzahn
Mike Leach
DeWayne Walker
Steve Sarkisian
Greg Davis
Ron Prince
Gary Pinkel

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have a hard time making a case for any of those guys getting the Michigan job. Not to take anything away from any of them (except maybe Pinkel).

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah...not really Michigan related...just a list I've been thinking about.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:39 PM

Holtz is way past gone, but people forget he was an excellent coach at ND. His record was very good and he played a very hard schedule. Although there was some sort of scandal after (did they go on probation?), plus he's a saliva-spitting elf.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:40 AM

Question for Carr from the retirement presser today:

How do you feel about Les Miles?

Carr: When it gets to discussing any potential candidates, I defer to Bill Martin. This process will be developed and executed by Bill, so I’m not going to get into all of the things that are his job. I can say that there are a lot of things that happen along the recruiting trail, it’s a very competitive business. Those are things you put to rest. For some of those rumors that are out there … I do want to make it clear that I’m not here to want to name the coach and all that bologna that some of you have written.

I assume the "recruiting trail is competitive business, those are things you put to rest" comment is in reference to Jai Eugene (alluded to earlier by damaniac), who had verbally committed to Michigan but then bolted to LSU close to signing day.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 PM

hot semi-insider rumor is they want Bobby Petrino.