Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 04:46 AM

Default general push/fold theory question

I'm wondering, when using the common standard push/fold SNG strategy, do you pass up shoving hands like A2-A6, basically a weak ace, as if you have a bad image, which you probably do at that point, you are likely to get called by people not respecting the bubble/you and might look at a hand like A7-A10 and call off with it? I've found this happening and I've been meaning to get the opinions of solid SNGers... Any educated responses are appreciated.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:56 AM

Default Re: general push/fold theory question

The maths of a push is (amongst other things) down to your opponents calling ranges. If they're bad, they will call loose anyway. If they're decent and you've been pushing a lot, or have a LAG-maniac image, their calling ranges will probably loosen (especially if you're pushing a lot into the same players' blinds), so your pushing range will need to tighten.

ICM calcs will tell you whether or not a push a good idea in a given situation. The advice will be accurate if <u>and only if</u> you put reasonably accurate calling ranges in for the villains behind you.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:16 AM

In theory , you should be shoving with a wider range of hands when you're first to act and you're close to the bubble . Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect theoretical world and there are many folks who don't even understand ICM or what it means . Ideally when you shove and you're first to act , then your opponents have to tighten up considerably to call you close to the bubble . If some loose player decides to call you , then it's costing you profits in the long run . In fact , in all likelihood , neither player will benefit from playing a pot close to the bubble .
Old 09-02-2007, 08:54 PM

I think it all depends on the players at your table and of course your table image. If I'm catching cards and have kept my M above the orange zone (10 or more) I will really pass on pushing hands as you describe (weak aces A2-A-6). But if I've been card dead and quiet at the table I will open up and push the weak aces, K10, 78s marginal type hands to prevent from falling into the red zone (M 5 or less). I think you will get a wide range of opinions on this however, as some players are naturally more conservative and others like to gamboool more.

Playing super tight on bubble is right in some people's opinions, yet others are extremely successful completely abusing the bubble pushing practically any two. And yet others such as myself fall smack in the middle, it all depends on your playing style. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it all depends on the players at your table and of course your table image. If I'm catching cards and have kept my M above the orange zone (10 or more) I will really pass on pushing hands as you describe (weak aces A2-A-6). But if I've been card dead and quiet at the table I will open up and push the weak aces, K10, 78s marginal type hands to prevent from falling into the red zone (M 5 or less). I think you will get a wide range of opinions on this however, as some players are naturally more conservative and others like to gamboool more.

Playing super tight on bubble is right in some people's opinions, yet others are extremely successful completely abusing the bubble pushing practically any two. And yet others such as myself fall smack in the middle, it all depends on your playing style. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't use M for STTs. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

M is orbits until you blind out; BBs is your FE, which matters more in an STT. It's easier to calculate too. And if you use pushing tables based on M you will be making some big -EV errors.

Use ICM to calculate the equity you need, and your opponents calling ranges to calculate the equity you have. If the latter &gt; the former, push. Ditto for calling AI (where you have to be very tight).