Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Morale Dilema

[ QUOTE ]
Friend gets tagged for DWI....yes we all know its wrong and he is an idiot etc....its 3rd offense I believe and a felony...yes I still know he is a complete piece of [censored] and sucks at life...but the first 2 happened 20 years ago etc....

...situation is that he was not driving when it happened he was on side of road with flat when cops pulled up and arrested him, they never seen him physically drive the vehicle....if found guilty loses driving privledges for year which means he cant drive his kids or see him really for that matter (divorced) and pays ton of cash he doesnt have in fines etc....

All you have to do is testify that you drove car but left him there for whatever reasonable reason you could think of....

..What do you do? testify and get him off? or say sorry buddy you gotta pay the price?

[/ QUOTE ]

GG
NYS law
If you have are near the car, and the car is off but have the keys its s DWI. Im not even kidding.
Take example you were so drunk you pulled into an empty parking lot drawled in the back seat and feel asleep with your keys on you. You'd get the DWI.

Its reasonable for the cops to assume that he a)drove drunk before the flat b) will drive drunk after the repair.

that being said, hell yes you help him
Old 10-17-2007, 08:28 AM

generally i value justice over mercy, so i say he should pay up.

edit: esp since he is a repeat offender
Old 10-17-2007, 09:24 AM

How about this one:

"A friend gets drunk and takes a loaded gun and shoots it into a crowd. He misses everyone, so no one was hurt, but the police want to charge him with attempted manslaughter. If I come forward and say it was my gun that I knew was loaded with blanks he will get off the charge. Should I do it?"

The legal system dealing with DUI was constructed for a reason. How are you going to feel if you testify, he gets off, and a month later he gets behind the wheel drunk and runs over a kid?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:30 AM

depending on what the friend said at the scene, could a lawyer argue that the friend was sober, drove the car and got a flat. went to a neighborhood bar and had some drinks. then decided to go back and change the tire where the police showed up.

and no im not perjuring myself for a friend under this situation.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 AM

Dude this is so black and white. You don't get to validate lying to protect your friend from himself. You're going to lie and then he's going to do it again and kill somebody then you're the [censored]. Also, jail time is pretty cool. The idea that anybody thinks this is OK is ridiculous.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 AM

Don't lie for him.

Anyone else think DUI should be strict liability, i.e. harsh penalties but only if you cause something bad to happen? There are so many things that are legal that are such a higher risk factor than being slightly drunk.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 AM

Riverman,

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone else think DUI should be strict liability, i.e. harsh penalties but only if you cause something bad to happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

By harsh penalties you mean, worse than death/disfigurement/serious injury?

The reason people DUI is that they think "it'll never happen to me"
Old 10-17-2007, 10:00 AM

Did he ask you to do this? I don't think that's very nice of him.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Riverman,

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone else think DUI should be strict liability, i.e. harsh penalties but only if you cause something bad to happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

By harsh penalties you mean, worse than death/disfigurement/serious injury?

The reason people DUI is that they think "it'll never happen to me"

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, but take your argument to the next step. If it is so reprehensible to think "it will never happen to me" when intoxicated, why is it not equally "bad" to think the same thing when speeding, driving without glasses, driving while talking on your cell phone, driving when you are super-old, or driving on slick roads with an ill-equipped car?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
depending on what the friend said at the scene, could a lawyer argue that the friend was sober, drove the car and got a flat. went to a neighborhood bar and had some drinks. then decided to go back and change the tire where the police showed up.

and no im not perjuring myself for a friend under this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was about exactly what I was going to post. Let him lie for himself. Unfortunately with 2 dwi's on his belt already, I doubt they'll believe it.