Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

great primer guids. i saw it while smoking a cigar...eerie. i busted out a 2002 cohiba robusto cause im still celebrating my superbowl win and its the best thing i have in the humidor now. if anyone wants a cheap daily i suggest the oliva serie g belicoso. awesome little smoke 3 buck...while they last. if you want to spend some dough TTT trinidad fundador or padron anniversario if you cant get cubans.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have been enjoying cigars for awhile, but recently got serious about my cigs. i got a 400$ humidor that can hold up to 200 cigars (i keep around 20 in there), a hygrometer from radio shack, and a 75$ humidifer that i have to refill 1x/week with distilled water. as far as cigars go, i really like montecristos and churchills, but it has been too cold as of late to have a smoke outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/2619

These are awesome. I dont know how well they work with cigs, but cigar smoke I know fades a lot faster out of things, than cigarettes. W/ the candle, and maybe a cracked window, you cant even smell the cigar 30 minutes after smoking. These arent the exact candles my I buy at my cigar shop, but Im sure there isnt much diff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't even know these existed, I also curtailed my smoking because of cold winters. Looking forward to trying this out.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:22 AM

oliva grand cameroon torpedos are my fav so far.

r&j's a close second
Old 02-06-2007, 02:30 AM

Don't have much exp at all but R&J's are easily my fave out of the 5 or so I've tried, seems like a perfect not too mild not too strong taste.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:17 AM

I can't give any sort of authoritative info on "the best cigars," because it's really a matter of taste. That said, I really enjoy the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 (I know, theoretically not as good as the 90s, but more suited to my taste), Romeo y Julieta Aniversario (black and silver band), Arturo Fuente Hemingway and Don Carlos #2, and a nice little $4 cigar by Cusano called the 18, which is certainly the best value and might be the most consistently smooth, easy-smoking cigar I've ever had.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:48 AM

Something big that has been left out of the OP.

Lighting

The best thing to light cigars with is a butane lighter, preferably a dualjet for a wider flame. Butane is preferable to a normal lighter because the gas won't change the flavour of the tobacco. If you don't have access to a butane lighter, try using the cedar paper that comes with most cigars. Just break off a piece, light it, then light your cigar for it.

To light your cigar, hold it about an inch above the flame, then roll the cigar between you thumb and index finger to get an even light. A good cigar only needs to be smoked every minute or so to stay lit, so try to avoid relighting your cigar.

On cutting, a double edged cutter is best. This applies pressure evenly to both sides of the cigar at once, reducing the chances of tearing the cigars wrapping. After that, the hierarchy i believe goes double edged cutter > cigar scissors > single blade cutter.

My personal favourites are cohiba's and monte cristo's, but because i'm a euro and can get genuine cubans, i can't comment on what the quality or taste is like on their US counterparts. If you can get the real thing though, my usual is the monte cristo number 2, which will run you about 20 dollars a cigar. It's very smooth, and has an easy draw. Very enjoyable to smoke.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:11 AM

Fuente Fuente Opus X is easily the best cigar commercially available. I don't smoke anymore but I have smoked thousands of cigars and nothing else comes close with respect to construction, draw, flavor. Magnificent smoke. I don't know if they are any more available now, they used to be pretty scarce.

Definitely buy your smokes from www.jrcigar.com, they are by far the best, for pipe tobacco as well. Once I started smoking the heavy heavy perique tobaccos like Dunhill I stopped smoking cigars.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something big that has been left out of the OP.

Lighting

The best thing to light cigars with is a butane lighter, preferably a dualjet for a wider flame. Butane is preferable to a normal lighter because the gas won't change the flavour of the tobacco. If you don't have access to a butane lighter, try using the cedar paper that comes with most cigars. Just break off a piece, light it, then light your cigar for it.

To light your cigar, hold it about an inch above the flame, then roll the cigar between you thumb and index finger to get an even light. A good cigar only needs to be smoked every minute or so to stay lit, so try to avoid relighting your cigar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with using a lighter of any sort for a cigar. Matches are a much better choice. However, if using a lighter, then I think you are correct in your choice. I have a couple butane lighters, mostly for the convenience and ease of use but I rarely use them if matches are available.

Matches > Butane Lighter > Cedar Wrap > Gas Lighter.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 PM

I dislike matches, even safety ones, because they burn too quickly and the flame is uneven. If i don't have a lighter, i usually just light the cedar paper with the match, as it burns a lot slower.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 PM

Dont ever light your cigar with normal matches, only wooden ones.