Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2007, 07:27 AM

Default Note taking = Really, really boring...

[ QUOTE ]
Note taking.

Learn the importance of taking notes, especially taking notes on regulars in your games.

Your notes should be structured in a way that you can quickly glance at them and gain valuable information about how they play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just stealing something from RyanCMU's thread and keen to see what other people think and do when it comes to making notes on players.

Note taking is definitely one of the less exciting aspects of playing good online poker, up there with 5c/10c limit games. But good notes, as most of us know, are absolute gold dust.

It took me a while to get into it but, once you've got your own "bible" going (mines a standalone Word document) it develops its own momentum.

As Ryan said in his thread, easy to read notes are best. I've been developing a few acronyms on key betting patterns which you see in so many players, particularly the weaker ones (see below) which can be read in the short amount of time you often have.

I've come to understand how, sometimes, a single note you took weeks or months ago makes the difference between a 'standard' fold and a great call (or vice versa), or a bet/raise that wins you a pot, worth many, many BBs.

I'm sure this is basic stuff to most, but I'm interested to hear how other people put their notes together. What kind of information do people find most useful? I'm making my own system up as I go along and I'm sure there are better ways of doing it...

MINCR = Likes to c/r the minimum (on the flop or turn, with a big hand)

MRWAA = (a donkey who min raises w AA/KK pf)

TBWU/D = (a donkey who makes tiny bets when unsure of his marginal hand and/or drawing - ie bet the $hit out of the guy)

QCNM = (a quick check means not much - ie another reason to bet the $hit out of a guy)