Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Headphones!!!

There should be ample discussion about amplifiers.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:54 AM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a pair of Hd650s and a gilmore lite amp for using with my PC. I'm looking to get a new sound card - any suggestions? Also, anyone got any suggestions on a decent upgrade cable for the 650s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy a microDAC and you can use it as a usb soundcard and it will be the best youve ever heard.

I didnt really like the cardas cable when i listened to it. I;ve heard good things about the Zu cable. Check that out.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:41 AM

1. i need a new pair of earbuds, i live in nyc and ride the subway so the noise cancelling earbuds sound perfect. my budget is $100, whats a good pair to get?

2. i need new basic speakers for my new apartment now that ive moved out of the dorms where I couldnt play loud music. Budget is 100-150, what should I get?

Thanks a lot, didnt really know where to start looking and I figured one of you would be able to tell me whats a good value pretty easily.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:58 PM

ok, i'm a total n00b, but here we go:

i'm looking into buying the sennheiser hd-555's b/c that is about how much i want to spend.

two questions:

will these sound good w/out an amp, and do they fit all the way around your ear. i find ones that don't uncomfortable.

i don't really want to buy an amp, but just the headphones. i'll be using them mostly for my zen mp3 player.

edit: i wouldn't mind an amp if i could get one for this cheap. it's only $20...will it make a significant difference?

web page
Old 05-30-2007, 06:41 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

1. Here. Assuming that when you say "noise cancelling earbuds" you mean "canal phones"

2. Celestion F15. A quick google search found a price tag of $113. You really should be spending MUCH MUCH more for speakers, but yeah, these are pretty sweet. I actually bought new bookshelf speakers YESTERDAY, they are Usher S520($400) which are just absolutely ridiculously awesome speakers for the price. just a recommendation for anyone else interested.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:44 PM

rage,

The hd-555'[s do not need to be amped and will sound pretty sweet for unamped headphones. dont waste money on that thing, it looks like garbage imo.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rage,

The hd-555'[s do not need to be amped and will sound pretty sweet for unamped headphones. dont waste money on that thing, it looks like garbage imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks!

ordering the 555's now, and will let you know how they work out.

edit: ok, i was about to order, when i read about them being open as opposed to closed (letting sound in and out). i don't think this would be good for me, so i'm thinking about the 280's instead. any advice?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Here. Assuming that when you say "noise cancelling earbuds" you mean "canal phones"

2. Celestion F15. A quick google search found a price tag of $113. You really should be spending MUCH MUCH more for speakers, but yeah, these are pretty sweet. I actually bought new bookshelf speakers YESTERDAY, they are Usher S520($400) which are just absolutely ridiculously awesome speakers for the price. just a recommendation for anyone else interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats exactly what i want, just wasnt sure which to get.

why is it worth an extra 300 for the other speakers? i definitely wasnt planning on spending that much, i can think of a lot of other things that i could spend that on.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rage,

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea why i couldn't find a Hornet on ebay or amazon? Is there no second hand market for them?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 PM

PIITM,

I have a pair of grado SR-80's that I loved that crapped out on me, and I'm looking to take the next step. At what level of impedence does one need to start considering an amp? Also, any recommendations for a new set of cans and a USB soundcard?