Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 AM

Default Instructions on setting up a Proxy Server

First off, setting this up as a new post because I am referring to the general process of setting up a Proxy Server and getting any internet based program to run through it. I do not recommend you transmit sensative data through a public server, perhaps Bipolar or someone with more knowledge than myself can comment on the security issues and if there is a way to secure data going through a proxy.

1. Download and install Proxy Way, there is a free version that should meet most users needs. The program will allow you to access a proxy or locate public proxies.

2. Download and install SocksCap.

3. Run PW. To search for a public server, go to update proxy list and enter the URLs for pages which provide public server lists, these along with instructions are available under the help tab. If you have a private server you can go directly to 'proxy list' and hit the 'add' button at the bottom. Ensure that your proxy is capable of HTTP and HTTPS protocols. Next you need to goto service manager and add a service, directions are available in help tab. Start the service and ensure the green button at the top says 'proxy on'. Under proxy click connections and enable redirect services for whichever browser you use (help available). Once that is done, a quick way to check that you are going through the proxy is to open up your browser and go to google, if you on a server from Israel, for example, Google will appear in Hebrew and you will know your true 'country of origin' is being protected.

4. Start SC. Modify the setting as mentioned in the video on http://www.http-tunnel.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=116 except instead of localhost for server use 127.0.0.1 and port 81. The video goes on to show how to select the internet based program you want to through the proxy and how to run it.

That was just a quick primer, I am not an expert by any means and was able to figure this out pretty easily through the help documentation, hopefully this will at least speed up the process for you. I will try to help with any problems if you post them in this thread.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Instructions on setting up a Proxy Server

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:49 PM

Thanks Bishop! I followed your instructions, got Google in a foreign language, started SocksCap and ran through the video.

Questions: Why port 81, and how can I verify that Party is seeing me from a different country? My web browser clearly does, but can I be sure about Party?

On a separate note, Party is still going to block you based on registered address once the bill is signed into law, yes? Do you have a foreign address for a new Party account lined up?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Questions: Why port 81, and how can I verify that Party is seeing me from a different country? My web browser clearly does, but can I be sure about Party?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are loading Party via sockscap it must be connecting through the proxy, I do not know hoe to verify this however. I also don't know why port 81 is used, that was the server/port listed in the instructions (not in the video tho).

[ QUOTE ]
On a separate note, Party is still going to block you based on registered address once the bill is signed into law, yes? Do you have a foreign address for a new Party account lined up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have already purchased a remailer service for $13/down ~$2 per piece of mail, not posting the name as I can not say they are reliable, you should do your own research there are plenty out there. Setting up an additional account shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to get a little creative with the funding, going on the trial and error approach there with a last resort being a quick cash from my affiliate with a withdrawal via check. I am still not entirely sure that all the work will be wrth it to run on the post-ban Party Poker but as this is my livelyhood so I have to keep my options open.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:17 AM

I got everything kind of working, using a chinese proxy server google comes up in chinese, but only in IE. If i use firefox, it's still english with my normal Ip address. Is there anyway to set up proxy way so that everything you use, browsers and programs alike will see you from a different IP address? I know if I use IE it will, but that won't work if you need to download a program and go through that interface.
For example, to register for pokerstars you don't go to a webpage, but download the software, and register through that. If one place on my computer is showing an american IP address, then it won't let me register. (assuming they block registration from the USA). So, as mentioned, is there any way to set up proxyway so everything will see you from whatever proxy you are using, or does it only work for browser based sites.

Many thanks!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:53 AM

You need to use a VPN or a SSH Proxy server, and make sure the SSH proxy is set up correctly.

check out findnot.com for a comercial solution. (thank abat for the info.)
Old 10-13-2006, 04:33 PM

Many thanks, I will have to look into that in the next few days.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:54 PM

Thanks Shroomy for the tip on findnot.com. I am on there site and they seem rather shady. Have you tried there services? Is this the new reality for the new "underground" poker scene that we have to deal with shady merchants in order to play our favorite game? Because I will if it works [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Please advise.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:14 AM

I was able to setup a proxy using the findnot internet secuirty suite. While using a proxy server in canada, UK, ect. I was able to sign up for poker sites that normally do not allow americans to sign up for. So looks like if you are searching for a commerical way to get around anything like that, the findnot software worked pretty well.
Tho at this point it looks like pokerstars will continue to allow americans to play, so for now I don't have much use for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2006, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was able to setup a proxy using the findnot internet secuirty suite. While using a proxy server in canada, UK, ect. I was able to sign up for poker sites that normally do not allow americans to sign up for. So looks like if you are searching for a commerical way to get around anything like that, the findnot software worked pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you attempt to log onto Party with the newly created account? Someone PM'd me they were having issues.

[ QUOTE ]
Tho at this point it looks like pokerstars will continue to allow americans to play, so for now I don't have much use for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have much use for my address in New Zealand either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].. but nice to know it'll be there when/if I need it.