Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-26-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Rock Band

question ... ive only played guitar hero once, and i was playing rock band over the weekend, and on some of the expert songs, on the fast parts, i was having trouble strumming and fingering the notes at the same time. Then I noticed that at some times (not in the solo sections), i only had to strum the first note in the riff, and then just finger the 2nd (and maybe 3rd?) note. But then i wasnt very confident as to when I could just strum once, or i had to strum for every note ... whats the rule/trick behind this?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:50 PM

just quick question: I was watching a video of rock band on youtube, and the notes for the guitar looked impossible to distinguish, is it normally that much of a cluster F?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:06 PM

it's tough at first... but gets easier to distinguish... when playing with 4 people however, it's nearly impossible
Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- The HO/POs in this game are poorly designed IMO. Yes, they do exist, but man, they are hard to see, because they are indicated by being slightly narrower than the regular rectangle note bar. To me at least, when the notes are flying it's pretty hard to distiguish between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

so annoying, it plagues GH1, 2 and RockBand

only GH3 got it right, while GH3 has the loosest timing window, it could have the tightest one, and it still be the easiest to play the HO/PO because of the better recognition

[/ QUOTE ]

At least with 2 (didn't play 1), you can tell which notes the HO/PO's are. With Rock Band, my point is that it's hard to tell altogether which ones are which, when they're coming fast. Agreed though that the window of recognition to nail them is really tight.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah nolan, the spoken word part you just.. speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I get that, for some reason I get "weak" a lot for those parts, which I can't figure out. I must be doing something wrong.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- The HO/POs in this game are poorly designed IMO. Yes, they do exist, but man, they are hard to see, because they are indicated by being slightly narrower than the regular rectangle note bar. To me at least, when the notes are flying it's pretty hard to distiguish between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

so annoying, it plagues GH1, 2 and RockBand

only GH3 got it right, while GH3 has the loosest timing window, it could have the tightest one, and it still be the easiest to play the HO/PO because of the better recognition

[/ QUOTE ]

At least with 2 (didn't play 1), you can tell which notes the HO/PO's are. With Rock Band, my point is that it's hard to tell altogether which ones are which, when they're coming fast. Agreed though that the window of recognition to nail them is really tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you can tell. If they're close enough together? On the screen or time wise? I've never been able to figure it out. I know which ones I can hammer now and which I can't. On some songs it's obvious, but not when the notes are further apart but still hammer-able.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:56 AM

in 2 it was easy... HO/PO notes didn't have that ring on the top, they were just colored with a white top. i dunno.. pretty easy to tell imo
Old 11-27-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in 2 it was easy... HO/PO notes didn't have that ring on the top, they were just colored with a white top. i dunno.. pretty easy to tell imo

[/ QUOTE ]

and you got used to the sounds of the songs. You just kinda knew where the HO belonged. I'm having a big problem with GH3 cause they put them in the most random places.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:33 PM

Yay my band, Genitalia, has reached the hall of fame. Don't think we'll ever be legends though, that endless setlist is ridiculous.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:57 AM

Goddamn just finished the endless setlist. That took a long ass time. Only managed to fail on one song when someone else took lead guitar away from me on Train keeps rolling. I got greedy and didnt save a star power for him.

Also during that endless setlist we are now 38th on the career leaderboards. We have quite a few top 50 scores but we are most proud of our 3rd on Epic. We plan to work on getting higher after recovering from that marathon.