Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 01:21 AM

Default AQs on BB breaking up a spat.. line check

CO is on super tilt, just proclaimed "f this" in chat before the cards were dealt. Button is the cause of this, they've been flapping off back and forth for some time. Button is loose donk. The cutoffs flat call pre makes this an interesting spot.

Poker Stars, NL Hold'em Tournament, 50/100 Blinds, 8 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: 3,168
Hero (BB): 4,335
UTG: 3,770
UTG+1: 1,040
MP1: 1,910
MP2: 6,215
CO: 2,500
BTN: 6,165

Pre-Flop: (150) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
4 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to 300</font>, BTN calls 300, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 1,500</font>, CO calls 1,200, BTN calls 1,200

Flop: (4,550) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)

Hero bets 1,000
Old 11-18-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Re: AQs on BB breaking up a spat.. line check

thats a HUGE raise for the blinds at 50-100 but you wanted to just face him right-isolation raise? 1000 bet on the flop doesnt make alot of sense because you are giving them the proper odds to call with a flush draw and 5.5-1 odds screams i have nothing imo. I wouldve raised smaller on preflop (or pushing wouldnt be bad), what to do post flop i ahve no idea.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:12 AM

I think u have to open-shove this flop here. This is the only way to iso CO, and button never has a monster here. Obv if u check, CO shoves and button folds it's an easy call (getting 5.5 to 1) with two overs and a BDFD. Much tougher if u check, CO shoves and button just flats. Usually you wouldn't have to worry about this, but he coldcalled your RR pre (which was the proper size) so he might just call if he has a draw here. U don't have near enough chips to iso CO if u shove after button calls, and calling committs u anyway, so this spot really sucks on the flop if u check, CO shoves and button comes along.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 AM

You raised like you were going to go and go....as played, follow through with a shove on the flop. You've committed to much of your stack preflop for any other line.

If they are donks (at least one is in your estimation) they won't respect the 1000 chip bet. A shove gives you at least a little bit of FE.

Based on the spat, would playing this small make sense? Since they are both likely looking for an excuse to play, you might be able to exploit this if you hit the flop.

Based on the situation I think this is the line I take here.

What do y'all think?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:17 AM

Preflop is fine.

Against these two I understand what you wanted to achieve with your flop-betsize, as it's very likely worse hands will come along. If It was CO alone I would also do this, but as button called a bet and a raise preflop (even if he is a loose player) I would take it down now - therefore i'd push the flop.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:37 PM

Yeah, I think I got a case of fancy play syndrome... I was the worse player in online gambling last night, I think I was trying to prove how smart I am to myself.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:45 PM

Your flop decision was made for you after you raised pf. Basically when I raise pf and if called the pot will be about my stack after the raise I either shove pf or I'm shoving most flops with AQ. This is the type of flop I'm shoving.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:03 PM

yeah the reraise size was great because it gave you a potsized shove to go with if you got a caller. i overcall this in the blinds a lot to avoid this situation but as played you have to follow through with a shove and not that weaksauce flop bet
Old 11-18-2007, 09:44 PM

This is a definite shove on the flop for reasons stated above.