Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Tunica NLHE regulars

First time I played him he was practically holding court at the table. Extremely extremely chatty.

I think he may have gotten a bit tighter and/or quieter in future sessions. Perhaps learning his lesson from taking too many ill-advised gambles. Not really sure.

I've played with him once or twice when he wasn't speaking a whole lot. But my first impression of his chatterbox day is the one that sticks with me.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably the same person. Seemed like pretty nice guy.

Do you know Swifty?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Swify. He gave me some great advice on movers once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Movers?? Like furniture movers or something else??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, what other kind of movers are there? I used them twice for local moves when I was in Miss.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably the same person. Seemed like pretty nice guy.

Do you know Swifty?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Swify. He gave me some great advice on movers once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Movers?? Like furniture movers or something else??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, what other kind of movers are there? I used them twice for local moves when I was in Miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's what I thought but you never know sometimes. Since we have players from all over, it could be slang for something else.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Roland is an older guy I think with a grey mustache who keeps a big stack at the table and will like to test you for your stack too. I've played 2/5 with him at both GS and HS.

[/ QUOTE ] Watch out for Roland. He does tend to keep a large stack on the table but he's not afraid to use it.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roland is an older guy I think with a grey mustache who keeps a big stack at the table and will like to test you for your stack too. I've played 2/5 with him at both GS and HS.

[/ QUOTE ] Watch out for Roland. He does tend to keep a large stack on the table but he's not afraid to use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he the guy who wears a ballcap and glasses?
Old 06-12-2007, 04:00 AM

I know Roland pretty good and respect his game a ton. He is a real estate millionaire. He owns a bunch of rentals over in Oxford. He grew up in Madison, Wisconsin and played the local games with Hellmuth back in college. Roland preys on weakness more than any other person I have played with in Tunica. I have picked up a fairly significant tell on him and I have used it to my benefit 3 times so far. *HINT* Pay attention to what he says when he fires out a rather large bet on the river.

If you know Roland at all ask him about the story where he and Hellmuth went to the World Series in '89 (the year Hellmuth won). VERY good story.

Andy Alina - Phillipino guy mid 30's, dates Jean who deals at the GS. VERY good tourney player, he has problems with tilt control but when he is on his game watch out. Omaha is Andy's crack cocaine. He loves the action, but plays in the 25 25 50 PLO game, when he has the money. More than half the guys at the table [censored] money. Whenever he plays in the game they just wait for the variance of Omaha to kick in. They have the bigger bankrolls so eventually they will just bet bet bet and when the variance falls on their side, he is bust again.

Donald - Red shaved head, late 20's early 30's. He came from the Knoxville area 3-4 years ago and has been a local ever since. He is a good grinder. Havent played with him in several months but he is a solid TAG from what I remember.

Al - Black guy late 30's to early 40's. The definition of a short stacker in the cash NL games. And takes foooooorrrrrreeeeeevvvvvvveeeeerrrrrr to act on his hands. He has some very good tournament results.

Jimmy Angotti - Tall italian guy. Is a real estate agent in Memphis. He likes to play games other than Hold 'em and fairly good at them too.

There are several others who play there quite often but names are slipping me right now.

PVN - Roland does not wear glasses and never wears a ball cap. He is early 40's, mustache and going a little thin on top. When he plays he usually has a knot of $$$ folded in half and rubberbanded together. He always keeps his knot rubberbanded even when he is using on the table.

He ALWAYS a a cup of coffee that looks like peanut butter after he adds the 1/2 gallon of cream to it, lol. He told me he drinks 3-4 pots of coffee a day, and if you pay attention to how many cups he drinks at the table this is very believable.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:12 AM

Not sure if Roland is really in his early 40's but he looks older than that imo. Looks more like late 40's or possibly even early 50's to me.
Grey mustache and definintely a little thin on top (not as thin as I am at only 36 though).

I've played him at both HS and GS.

Definitely respect his game. He can pull all kinds of different tricks on you.

First time I played him my first impression was that he was kind of a rich semi-maniac. He played all sorts of crazy 64o from EP or some stuff like that and seemed to be pulling some kind of 'act' that he had just come from roulette or craps or something and likes to gamble big.
Might be partly true too of course. But I now suspect he was talking this talk for image purposes.

Since then I've decided he really does seem to know what he's doing and isn't nearly the maniac he playing himself off as the first time I met him.

He definitely likes to bully with his big-stack when he senses weakness.

I let him do this one time to me when I thought he would sense me as weak. Since I play the game short-stacked and come off as kind of weak and sweating the money to begin with I thought he would take the bait.
He even told some guy after my river check, "That sure looked like weakness didn't it?"
At first I thought I had made the bluff-inducement TOO obvious.
But he casually flipped his wad of bills out in front even though I only had $100 left in my stack.
I called and showed my monster hand and took it down.
And I'm almost positive that he'll remember me somewhat even though it happened several weeks ago and that I will have to mix things up and probably can't get away with such a move again.

I've played with Al before too.
That guy freaking lives there.
doesn't he sleep at the table between hands sometimes and the dealer has to wake him up? I might be thinking of someone else.

It's amazing how many of the same 'regulars' I can recognize at HS or GS every time I head to Tunica.
I show up once every month or two at most and it's like the same group of people never left from my previous visit.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:23 AM

"Al - Black guy late 30's to early 40's. The definition of a short stacker in the cash NL games. And takes foooooorrrrrreeeeeevvvvvvveeeeerrrrrr to act on his hands. He has some very good tournament results."

I've played a many of tourneys with Al. He can be wild (usually in the beginning of the rebuy periods) and he can toss away a hand he's likely ahead. You're right he can take some time to make a decision.

One hand I played against Al in the later portion of the rebuy period went something like call, call, Al raises, I reraise, folds around to Al. He should call with any decent hand. Or I guess I should say he at least shouldn't fold. He thinks for DAYS and folds JJ. I showed him 77.

After that it seemed every pot he was in so was I. I expected him to be a bit tilty and play back at me but he didn't. He kept his cool.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know Roland pretty good and respect his game a ton. He is a real estate millionaire. He owns a bunch of rentals over in Oxford. He grew up in Madison, Wisconsin and played the local games with Hellmuth back in college. Roland preys on weakness more than any other person I have played with in Tunica. I have picked up a fairly significant tell on him and I have used it to my benefit 3 times so far. *HINT* Pay attention to what he says when he fires out a rather large bet on the river.

If you know Roland at all ask him about the story where he and Hellmuth went to the World Series in '89 (the year Hellmuth won). VERY good story.

Andy Alina - Phillipino guy mid 30's, dates Jean who deals at the GS. VERY good tourney player, he has problems with tilt control but when he is on his game watch out. Omaha is Andy's crack cocaine. He loves the action, but plays in the 25 25 50 PLO game, when he has the money. More than half the guys at the table [censored] money. Whenever he plays in the game they just wait for the variance of Omaha to kick in. They have the bigger bankrolls so eventually they will just bet bet bet and when the variance falls on their side, he is bust again.

Donald - Red shaved head, late 20's early 30's. He came from the Knoxville area 3-4 years ago and has been a local ever since. He is a good grinder. Havent played with him in several months but he is a solid TAG from what I remember.

Al - Black guy late 30's to early 40's. The definition of a short stacker in the cash NL games. And takes foooooorrrrrreeeeeevvvvvvveeeeerrrrrr to act on his hands. He has some very good tournament results.

Jimmy Angotti - Tall italian guy. Is a real estate agent in Memphis. He likes to play games other than Hold 'em and fairly good at them too.

There are several others who play there quite often but names are slipping me right now.

PVN - Roland does not wear glasses and never wears a ball cap. He is early 40's, mustache and going a little thin on top. When he plays he usually has a knot of ~10k folded in half and rubberbanded together. He always keeps his knot rubberbanded even when he is using on the table.

He ALWAYS a a cup of coffee that looks like peanut butter after he adds the 1/2 gallon of cream to it, lol. He told me he drinks 3-4 pots of coffee a day, and if you pay attention to how many cups he drinks at the table this is very believable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know Andy too. Nice guy. He used to deal at the Goldstrike a couple of years ago.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he the guy who wears a ballcap and glasses?

[/ QUOTE ]

PVN, is this guy you're thinking of with the cap & sunglasses, does he have a beard too & about late 40's early 50's? Doesn't socialize much at the table? If memory serves me, he has a tatoo on his forearm...

If so, I play with him all the time. Don't know his name though. He's tighter than Dick's hat band. He'll play 1 hand an hour. When he raises, fold unless you have the stone cold nutz. Seems like a decent fellow & solid player, just doesn't say much.

There's also another guy that plays the 1/2 & 2/5 NL games around there who is from Europe somewhere. His name is Neils or Niles or something like that. I would guess he's mid to late 40's. Heavy accent. One of the dealers told me he was from France...not sure. He's a sneaky, trappy type player who likes suited connectors, one gappers, etc. I've played with him a few times. Haven't seen him around in a while.