Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Shanking problem at the range

I'm a novice (read: awful) golfer who only started taking it seriously this summer. I'm happy when I break 100 and my best round is a 92.

The last couple of times I'm at the range I've noticed a very strange phenomenon. I'll be hitting my shorter irons (8,9,PW) just fine and then out of nowhere the ball will just shoot off to the right (I'm a righty) at like a 45deg angle to my target line. I'll think that I swung too fast or something and really try a smooth, tempo swing but with the same result. Then a few swings later I'll get back to a normal shot again. This will continue with the short irons for most of the session, but generally not with the longer clubs.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I never have that type of shot on the course, although lately I have noticed that my irons are going further right than I want them to. Not really sliced as much as pushed that way. I was actually at the range tonight trying to work on that.

FWIW the range I go to uses the awful astroturf mats.

Any thoughts on what could be causing that? I'm sure its because I'm forgetting something simple.

Thanks

The Doc
Old 10-04-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Shanking problem at the range

My dad really suffers from this...I think it's swinging too fast and the club taking a flatter plane (moving to the outside of your intended path) and the 1-2" difference in path causes you to take it off the hosel - the shank.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a novice (read: awful) golfer who only started taking it seriously this summer. I'm happy when I break 100 and my best round is a 92.

The last couple of times I'm at the range I've noticed a very strange phenomenon. I'll be hitting my shorter irons (8,9,PW) just fine and then out of nowhere the ball will just shoot off to the right (I'm a righty) at like a 45deg angle to my target line. I'll think that I swung too fast or something and really try a smooth, tempo swing but with the same result. Then a few swings later I'll get back to a normal shot again. This will continue with the short irons for most of the session, but generally not with the longer clubs.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I never have that type of shot on the course, although lately I have noticed that my irons are going further right than I want them to. Not really sliced as much as pushed that way. I was actually at the range tonight trying to work on that.

FWIW the range I go to uses the awful astroturf mats.

Any thoughts on what could be causing that? I'm sure its because I'm forgetting something simple.

Thanks

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost every golfer has gone through a period (or more than one period) in which they get the shanks. Of my six regular playing partners (all between 6 and 11 handicaps), all have had them at one time or another, including me.

I really never feel qualified to give much in the way of advise on golf, but here is one key peice of advice I will give. NEVER, I mean NEVER, listen to any suggestions about a cure for the shanks unless the person giving the advice is knowlegeable, and has seen your swing.

There is much writing in golf magaizines and on the internet about shanks, and IMO almost all advise is irreseponsible, even from the so called professional teachers. There are a few causes for the shanks, and in some cases the causes have very little in common, yet people continue to try and suggest fixes.

If you are able to post a brief video of your swing, then you might get some help, but otherwise I would talk to a teaching pro and have him/her watch your swing and suggest a solution. If he has any suggestions before watching your swing, get another teacher.

PS. My friend and I both had a case of teh shanks earlier this year, and happened to get some good advise after vido-swing review. We both had totally different problems, so our solutions to help alleviate the shanks were differnt as well.

PS. Based on your push, I have an idea of what might be the some of the causes, but once again, it would be just a guess.

Excuse the typos
Old 10-05-2007, 12:25 AM

Check your setup, specifically how far are you standing from the ball and your address.

If you do the exact same setup everytime do you still have the shanking problem?

Also, put some masking tape on your clubs and see where you are hitting the ball.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check your setup, specifically how far are you standing from the ball and your address.

Also, put some masking tape on your clubs and see where you are hitting the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try this tonight/tomorrow.

The Doc
Old 10-05-2007, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the fair warning about golf advice.

The Doc
Old 10-05-2007, 06:00 PM

Former Club Pro fwiw...best advice I've ever heard for the shanks:

Curl your toes up at address before you swing. This keeps you from having too much weight on the front part of your feet.

The shanks are much more of a mental battle than anything else. You can also try lining the ball up near the toe of the club. I do not mean standing farther away, just scooting the club away from the ball a little bit. Standing too far from it is a big cause IMO.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:22 PM

I hate the shanks so much.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the shanks so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do good players get the shanks? And if so, is it everyshot in a row for a while, or just every once and a while? And how much of a shank are we talking about?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:04 AM

i've never had the shanks but i think a good way to combat it would be to set a tee about a half inch outside the toe of the club you are using on the range. set up your clubface so the ball is in the middle of it and focus on making a smooth swing so you dont hit that tee. problem solved.