Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Post College-getting a menial PT sales/retail job to meet people

[ QUOTE ]

No, because phenom said something and you went at him saying construction workers aren't dumb just because they're not white colar, and your point is that they have other skills.

My point is, not everyone in the construction field has a trade and there's quite a few that are contempt with doing next to nothing and not trying to better themself.

[/ QUOTE ]

just wondering, does your supervision of these guys involve writing things down in english?

my point is this. if i am a guy with no skills and i get a chance to join a union and get paid about 50% over market rate to do a poor job at an easy task, what incentive do i have to improve? especially when i can apparently collect unemployment for half the year when i'm done being bad at my job? this is inefficiency and waste that is created by government, not by workers. if you pay a man a middle-class wage for half day's unskilled labor, you're damn right he's going to be lazy. he could work twice as hard as a he does now and be no better off. that's not a problem with the worker, that's a problem with the employer.

this discussion would be a lot more meaningful if you had your facts straight, but the point remains - these are not typical workers you are talking about.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:10 AM

While I'm as anti-union as the next guy, I'd be more interested in reading and participating in a discussion about ways to develop social interactions for the people on here who don't have that opportunity at work (either by living in a small town, or working with people of radically different ages, or by working alone, or by working at home, and so on).

If your bickering about the skill sets of construction workers is so valuable to you, you should start its own thread to discuss it. If your bickering about the skill sets of construction workers is not so valuable to you, you shouldn't hijack this thread.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:16 AM

this isn't a union problem and it's not a worker problem. if these guys weren't basically getting welfare from a government contract they wouldn't even be in the industry because nobody in private contracting would hire them, union or not.

there is always somebody around here ready to bash workers and look down on working class people, usually for spurious reasons like this. that's what i have a problem with, and if people don't want threads getting hijacked they can stop making ignorant statements or stupid arguments based off incomplete facts.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 AM

uhh - wtf happened to just answering op's question?

if you morons want to discuss unions start your own thread?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the responses so far, I appreciate them.

For people talking about clubs I didn't really think it was applicable to me but maybe I should give it more consideration. I'm guessing bartending jobs are pretty sought after - do I have other options? Is there anything to do with them that don't eat up my Thurs-Sat nights but would still be enjoyable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Also check the high-end/whatever catering services. How hard is it to pour a Budweiser, uncork a Merlot, or mix a G&T?

Not hard.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uhh - wtf happened to just answering op's question?

if you morons want to discuss unions start your own thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah way to take a thread about finding young chicks to sex and turn it into some back-and-forth debate over sweaty construction dudes.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 PM

Guys lets stay on topic here. I think the situation the OP is going thru is one that quite a few other guys are experiencing.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
get a job at a bar. I just moved to a new city and got a job at a bar and I have met tons of people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bar/restaurant work is a great way to get laid.
Not great on a resume and is no kind of career, but the money is decent and you meet lots of loose girls who like to have fun.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
get a job at a bar. I just moved to a new city and got a job at a bar and I have met tons of people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bar/restaurant work is a great way to get laid.
Not great on a resume and is no kind of career, but the money is decent and you meet lots of loose girls who like to have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Work at a nice place or in a touristy area and the money can be very good. Any young person/student can spin a job bartending/catering as a real commitment to work, paying way thru school, ability to schedule and get things done, etc.
If you have any ins, check out a country club also.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:18 PM

OP,

I share your pain. I graduated not too long ago and just moved to a new city where I don't know anyone. My job keeps me penned up in an office 45-50 hours a week, and after 3 months I still don't know anyone who isn't associated somehow with work. I'm almost 24, so this monotony is really really beginning to get to me. In addition, I go up to Foxwoods about 6-8 times a month. This is my major pasttime, but its beginning to bother me that poker is substituting for social interactions....

I've resolved to look for a bartending deal 1-2 nights a week.