Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: \"The Prestige\" wtf? (spoilers)

The great thing about this movie was that they revealed their tricks. The "magical" Tesla machine ruined this because it was no longer a battle of wits ( ie who is the best magician). To make the last trick (telsa's machine) "magic" is totally lame and really ruined the film for me. I think they could have just left the twin aspect to be the big twist.

The Ed Norton one was better IMO.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so, two things

one, is GoT coming back to enlighten us all?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll rewatch the movie right now to refresh then post.

I think I might've been slightly confused though. Judging from some responses in this thread, maybe I'm not really in that much disagreement with the people I thought I was?

Edit: If this is just your way of trying to distract me from getting in hands, I hate you.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:24 PM

I thought the point of the movie was that only a bad magician does real magic.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:28 PM

I lied. It's not on this computer. I'll watch it later tonight.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, LOL WTF at those saying 'didn't like Nolan adding the cloning machine,' 'taking movie out of reality' and 'they didn't need to add Tesla.'

Read the book before assuming the director made something up that didn't belong, just because you didn't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because fidelity to the written word is, in the end, the one true mark of quality.

Is anybody here complaining about the movie not accurately representing the book by adding the cloning machine? As far as I can tell, people are complaining about the cloning machine as a copout in the story, and not talking about film vs. the [censored] book at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

its part of the story, without the cloning machine the movie wouldn't make the point that it does, at least one of the points that it does. its not a copout, its a necessary part of the plot. try thinking of it as science, a new discovery that was made at the time by a great inventor, not 'real magic'. It appears to be magic to everyone at the time because it has never been done before and seems impossible. But really a guy just figured out how to do it. the fact that he has to use the machine is significant, and having Tesla in there is just cool. maybe you're missing that.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The great thing about this movie was that they revealed their tricks. The "magical" Tesla machine ruined this because it was no longer a battle of wits ( ie who is the best magician). To make the last trick (telsa's machine) "magic" is totally lame and really ruined the film for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the point. The guy who used real "magic" was the loser. The guy who pulled off an awesome trick was the winner.