Old 05-30-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: I CANT SPIN

1) good quality wedge with clean grooves

2) clean contact with a decending blow

3) good quality ball

4) using more wrist and being aggressive through the ball helps

5) you need a clean lie; tight lies are better then fluffy lies

hope this helps

btw, not to brag but I recently spun back a ball 21 feet on a level green from about 80 yards with a sand wedge.

Not too bad.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the shot that looks like a scull and stops dead is because the ball got hit first on the down swing, if you scull it on the upswing, its definetly not going to stop. Tight fairways and soft greens have a lot to do with how easy it is to spin the ball, Tiger would not be ripping it back on all type of greens/fairways. Spinning it is over rated, all you'll be doing is playing 5 feet of backspin instead of a 5 foot forward bounce, theres no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, there is nothing wrong about this at all.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the shot that looks like a scull and stops dead is because the ball got hit first on the down swing, if you scull it on the upswing, its definetly not going to stop. Tight fairways and soft greens have a lot to do with how easy it is to spin the ball, Tiger would not be ripping it back on all type of greens/fairways. Spinning it is over rated, all you'll be doing is playing 5 feet of backspin instead of a 5 foot forward bounce, theres no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I don't get it either.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:21 PM

the more loft on the iron, the more backspin you can produce.

mainly, though, you guys need to make sure you're using a nice, soft, workable ball. ProV1 or Nike Black or some similar "Tour" ball.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay...when you say Tiger wouldn't be spinning it back on all types of fairways/greens, what percentage are you talking about? He can easily spin the ball out of the first cut of rough on tour, which is the same as a crappy fairway at some muni course. What are you really saying with that statement?

So....LOL at you making it sound like the only reason Tiger can spin it back is because he plays on tight fairways and perfect greens.

Also, LOL at there "not being a difference" between being able to spin it or not. How about a pin tucked 3 paces beyond a greenside bunker? Pretty nice to be able to spin back it in that situation IMO.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:52 PM

i am a 4 handicapper... how can i help...
make sure your grooves are clean.. you strike the ball well.. have the correct irons.. if you have very fat iron heads then it is unlikely you will get spin... spin comes out of striking the ball well..
Old 05-30-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
spin comes out of striking the ball well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That really should be end of thread there.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
spin comes out of striking the ball well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's obvious and doesn't help the OP .

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 05-31-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay...when you say Tiger wouldn't be spinning it back on all types of fairways/greens, what percentage are you talking about? He can easily spin the ball out of the first cut of rough on tour, which is the same as a crappy fairway at some muni course. What are you really saying with that statement?

So....LOL at you making it sound like the only reason Tiger can spin it back is because he plays on tight fairways and perfect greens.

Also, LOL at there "not being a difference" between being able to spin it or not. How about a pin tucked 3 paces beyond a greenside bunker? Pretty nice to be able to spin back it in that situation IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about a percentage, but bring Tiger to a non-overseeded course here in Dallas in the winter. He'll be able to stop the ball just like he can all time, but it will bounce 3 or 4 times and stop, it won't spin back. Tiger can spin back a 6iron if the conditions are right. I'm just saying that you have to have quite a few things going for you to make a ball spin back past where it landed. Most people don't have the skill, speed, or play on a course with good enough conditions to do this.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:00 PM

Didn't read everything...the reason thin shots spin SO much is because contact is made below the equator, but not low enough to get correct loft. So, the ball has a tonne of spin (like a cue ball), but a lower than normal trajectory...just simple physics. "thin to win" is a popular motto as that's the mistake good players make. 1, because their swing errors will tend to be on the thin, rather than fat side; and 2, because thin shots often travel close to the same distance as good shots, so the misses are less bad than fat shots.