Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Re: 30 LBS in 90 days - Who\'s with me???

Can you give me some good examples of what to eat at each meal? I'm looking to do something similar to this but I'm completely lost as to what to eat. I know chicken breasts are key... what else?

I don't want to eat too much, but I don't want to starve myself. Just want to eat healthy and workout. I weigh 255 and i'm 5'10". I'm still athletic so this won't be toooo hard... I just need to work on my diet.

thanks... gl to you too surf
Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 PM

One interesting method is to limit yourself only to the outer parts of the supermarket. Nothing boxed, nothing prepared. Meat, milk, eggs, fruit, vegetables. 4-5 meals small meals per day. Work out a lot. Drink a lot of water.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:17 PM

Any one know how much calories u burn for every mile you run?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any one know how much calories u burn for every mile you run?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my treadmill says its roughly 150 calories for 1 mile jogging at 6 mph on a 1.5 degree incline.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fine, i'll rephrase. "Dude, WHAT THE [censored] IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about the Ari Gold avatar? It was removed but I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:26 PM

50 lbs in 90 days and you have a bet

on August 14 I will embark on losing 50 in 90 days - and I will win
Old 08-03-2006, 02:35 PM

Ari Gold avatar was fine - but the host aparently changed it to serve up something exceedingly disguisting.

If you wanted to grab that original Ari avatar and host it somewhere else it would be fine... I just wouldn't use that host again.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:48 PM

This is definitely doable. I weighed 212lbs on May 16th (gym signup) and weigh 181 now. I also spent two weeks eating cheeseburgers in Vegas without access to a gym.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:04 PM

90 days? That's weak.

Just go to minicamp for a few days.

[ QUOTE ]
Offensive tackle David Diehl, who weighs 319 pounds, said he normally loses eight or nine pounds during a hot practice like the team has conducted over the last two days, when the heat index reached 107 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-03-2006, 03:09 PM

surf,

I have been in pretty much the same spot as you for the last year.

I was 160ish in high school. 170ish in college up until the time I was 30. I never went over 175. 165 is a pretty ideal weight for me when I'm lifting, 170 is perfectly fine.

In the last four years, mainly in the last two years after getting injured at soccer and falling out of the exercise habit + poker + lots of drinking + a new startup, I gained about twenty pounds - it just gradually crept on.

Three months ago I got sick of it and decided to get my ass back in shape, with being in shape to play the upcoming fall soccer season as motivation.

I made the following changes.

1) Instead of exercising once or twice a week, I exercise five or six times a week (weights 2-3x [full body for 30-60 minutes], running 2-3x [3ish miles], tennis 1-2x).

2) I stopped going to happy hours, except maybe once a week.

3) I stopped drinking heavily except for once a week (I'd usually be going out for happy hour + dinner + more drinks at least 2 or 3 times a week]

4) Breakfast I changed from grabbing a pastry or croissant or something to yogurt and/or a fruit or sometimes a bagel.

5) Lunch I stopped eating huge burritos and big deli sandwiches + chips and instead make a sandwich from home or eat out a few healthier lunch things (one deli has reasonable sized sandwiches here, the Indian place has good small to-go lunches, a few salad places, etc.)

6) Dinner I try to eat out only twice a week, one usually a "bad" meal (steak, Italian, etc) where I eat whatever within reason and the other sushi. Other times, I cook at home, some combo of steak/fish/chicken/burger + tomato/avocado/spinach/corn and other such stuff, plus have a lot of fruits.

7) Reduced how much juice I drink. I had already cut out sodas a while back. Lots of water + sparkling flavored carbonated water (not sweetened).

8) No more complete crap food - fries, onion rings, chips, cookies, desserts etc. Except fried cheese, which I will eat whenever possible!

9) No more eating pizza/chinese/cheesesteak/doughnuts at the end of nights when I do go drinking.

10) When I do meet people out for casual drinks from time to time, 1 or 2 instead of 3 or 4.

Here are my results for the last three months:

5-1 187
5-15 185
5-24 184
6-21 178
7-3 176
7-21 173
8-1 170

This period includes one big weekend when a friend was in town and another big weekend of gluttony in NYC.

The nice thing about my plan is that while it's a lot of little things, I really haven't had to make any big sacrifices or what feel like fundamental changes to my lifestyle. I do spend more time shopping for groceries and cooking, but that's cool.

Last few dinners, btw were:

Grilled filet mignon + roasted bell peppers / tomato + corn on the cob

Hamburger w/ half avocado chopped in there + tomato

Chicken breast + half avocado + spinach + tomato (I am a big fan of good tomato wedges w/ salt/pepper, maybe a little olive oil)

Chicken apple sausage + slice of bread + spinach salad

So, it's not like I'm eating rabbit food, just cutting down on quantities and minimizing stuff like potatoes and bread.

Sometimes I'm still hungry and have some dessert - lately that has been peaches, nectarines, yogurt, dried cherries (and some cinnamon graham crackers for when I just need a cookie).

One change I have definitely made is that I'm conscious of calories and take that into account when buying stuff. The other night I was going to get a burrito from Trader Joe's for dinner, but looked and it was about 750 calories total. For 600 calories I made steak + veggies + corn + dessert. It's those extra 100-200 calories here and there that quickly add up and get you from 1500-2000 daily to 2500-3000. I had never really paid any attention to calories before ever, and the numbers are often somewhat surprising.

Edited to add: I also try to have an order of chicken nuggets or chicken strips w/ every meal.