Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Looking for advice on computer purchase

I am looking to buy a new computer and would like some advice to make sure I make a sound purchase. My main usage needs are 8-tabling PS and FTP with Poker Tracker and PA HUD running. I also need the computer to support two monitors (two 20-inch Dells at the moment, one of them to be possibly replaced by a 30-incher in the future).

- How much processing power / RAM should I go for?
- What type of video card should I look for?
- What's the best site to use to build a customized system?
- Any other tips regarding components such as power source, case, cooling unit when customizing a computer?

I am close to a noob when it comes to this stuff, so good advice is much appreciated.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Looking for advice on computer purchase

Processor
Core2 Duo within your budget. I would recommend one with 4MB of onboard cash

Ram 2x1GB sticks will be fine, if you need more you can add another gig later but you won't need more.

One that supports that max resolution of your 30" and had two dual DVI out ports. I have a 7600GT in my work system that would probabably do the job for you.

I like newegg

I used the Antec Sonata III case it comes with a 500W supply. We have built about 89 systems off of this case at work and they work fine with no PSU problems. It is a good looking case with a door over all the drives.

One thing to think about is if you want to mess with RAID for backup or increasing retrieval times.

It requires two drives and you only get to use the space of one of them but RAID 1 the drives are identical so if one blows you still have all your data.

Your mobo has to support RAID. The one I used was DG965WH from intel. You need a floppy drive to load the RAID drivers during the OS install if you use XP. I hear they are included in Vista.

With the core2s you dont need anything special for cooling. I used a $20 Thermaltake fan that snaps in.