Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: IronChef Onion (with pics)

[ QUOTE ]
Mrs. Utah, Sapo:

Let's use this thread for IC discussion leading into a contest, but no need to belabor the discussions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Why doesn't everyone throw out an ingredient and El D, you choose the first one. From there maybe let the challenge 'winner' choose the next?

[ QUOTE ]

Once we get rolling, prior to judging I'll make some arbitrary decisions regarding how to reward creativity and level the playing field re: photography.

One month seems like a good length, but we can adjust as necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good to me. Also it needs to be decided how it will be judged overall.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't even know this was some sort of a rule. The idea that you have to make your own recipe is silly, especially with the internet providing thousands of recipes, sometimes thousands of recipes for a single ingredient.

[/ QUOTE ]

ElSapo it was always my understanding that in the past we tried to be as original as possible. I do agree that there are so many resources fro recipes, why not use them?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:00 PM

Judging by catagory seems ideal (creativity, plating, expected taste?), but is this feasible on an internet forum? Would this mean there to be a "panel" for each competition that would be required to judge every dish? Setting it up this way would help even the playing field it seems, provided it is not too unrealistic.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:58 PM

El Diablo--Thanks for adding me to the thread starter list. Obviously, I didn't even realize.

All--I agree with that we shouldn't spend too much time with the details. We can iron things out as we go.

I also agree that extending the duration of the contests and perhaps adding some minor restrictions to what may be done with the photography would address the concerns of those who burned out with Iron Chef.

I will also add that I think CSC's requirement that 2 dishes must be entered (app and entree) discouraged participation. There were many who only had time to put together one dish and were disinclined to post because their work wouldn't even be considered. Greater participation from a wide range of cooking skill levels would only make the contests more interesting. I think there would be more contestants if it were only required that something be made that incorporated a particular ingredient or a proposed theme.

Perhaps, if he is interested in doing so, El D could throw out an ingredient and set some basic ground rules and we could get started.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will also add that I think CSC's requirement that 2 dishes must be entered (app and entree) discouraged participation.

[/ QUOTE ]Absolutely. If somebody wants to make a drink, an amuse bouche, an appetizer, and a dessert, I'm not going to kick them out for not having an entree. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If it becomes a problem that too many people are submitting single dishes, we can address it at the time. Till then, I'd like to see as much participation and discussion as possible.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps, if he is interested in doing so, El D could throw out an ingredient and set some basic ground rules and we could get started.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds great. If you need ideas, my thoughts wrt the Secret Ingredient were Bacon, Alcohol, or Ginger. All are distinctive flavors that lend themselves to tons of dishes. If you wanted something more seasonal, Berries or Corn could both be good.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Possible list of ingredients:

Berries (too broad?)
mushrooms
garlic
some underused cheap fish
shrimp
prunes
bacon
corn
tomatoes (a must imo for one of the upcoming in-season months)

ok coming up with a list is harder than I thought. I'm game for anything though - just wanted to get something started.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:52 PM

http://ironhamburger.ytmnd.com/
Old 07-19-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm game for anything though - just wanted to get something started.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-20-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm game for anything though - just wanted to get something started.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been doing enough cooking since the old ICOOT died off!

How about cherries (if we start in the next week or two [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:08 AM

Might be a little late for most kinds of cherry. Fennel or Anise? Still find Morels?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:56 AM

El Diablo, as a fearless chairman, would you be able to choose an ingredient for us?