Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Paired boards vs. crazy guys

I seem to get raised on paired flop boards by aggressive villians an awful lot - way too much for every raiser to have connected with the board. So let me ask you this... In a situation like the one below, where my raise has been called by an aggressive bettor who likes to raise these type of flops, is it sometimes better to check the flop, and see how the villian reacts to my check? I feel like most villians (even aggressive ones) that have not connected with the flop might find a check more scary than a continuation bet, and react more honestly.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (3 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB
Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Paired boards vs. crazy guys

no i don't think you should check the flop. if you check, he's going to call shenanigans (unless people are just 100% different from me) and he's going to value bet to death or decide he is going to fire multiple barrels to put max pressure on you.

i think you should call down. gutshots+oesds make up a v. large part of his range and you have 3 outs against 9x and there's still some chance he has air.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:39 AM

i hate these situations and i suck at them. i usually fold the turn, but i think that might be too weak (though if it's a mistake it can't be a big one can it??)
Old 05-23-2007, 04:01 AM

checking is the worst option almost all the time because it will let villain play optimally. you have to just grit your teeth and work through these spots, take good notes..
Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 AM

"checking is the worst option almost all the time because it will let villain play optimally."

What does it really mean that it will let villain play optimally here?
That he will never bluff too much or that it's impossible for Hero to slowplay a good ten, pocket nines etc...?

For the record: I'm with you in that a bet is the way to go and then you have to go to show down unless it comes down really bad.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:49 AM

What about a flop check/raise, lead turn line? If I do that, I look extremely strong on the flop (I have a monster hand, but didn't think I'd be able to extract a bet), and villian's turn reaction should tell me everything I need to know (call = likely draw, fire again at the river, raise = I'm probably toast). Plus, it's kind of cool for metagame reasons. I can see the argument for a calldown, too. I'm just looking into alternatives.

-Brass