Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: jack kerouc

Where the hell did that come from?
Old 08-04-2007, 06:08 PM

I'm not surprised many people haven't heard of him. I don't think I've ever heard his name come up in conversation in my lifetime more than a couple of times(and I hang out with fairly intelligent people). From my few experiences on and off-line, I think quite a few people think its just "cool" or "in" (or whatever you want to call it) to be a fan.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:59 PM

I was subjected to his writing in high school, I had a very progressive english teacher (in fact she got fired the year before, but when the gay and lesbian alliance got involved the school caved and let her back) I didn't like it at the time. Now that I'm older I feel like I want to like his work but just can't, it's not good.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not surprised many people haven't heard of him. I don't think I've ever heard his name come up in conversation in my lifetime more than a couple of times(and I hang out with fairly intelligent people). From my few experiences on and off-line, I think quite a few people think its just "cool" or "in" (or whatever you want to call it) to be a fan.

[/ QUOTE ]
The word is "hip", mutherfucker.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:00 PM

kioshk - Huh?

Amplify - Beats me.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this reminds me of that part where him sal and dean are driving back to denver and there having that dicussion about "IT" and if you dont know what it is you dont have it
Old 08-05-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i love him, he changed how i write, how i read. But even i think he is held in to high of a regard. I have every book he wrte, and just about everybook wrote about him. I was really obsessed for a while. The more you learn about him, the more the myth of who he was fades.
He was every bit of a drunk [censored] he abondonded his family, and gave 2 [censored] about nothing but himself, for most of his life anyways.
His daughter wrote some books to, the little i read of her, shes was not to impressed with her dad either.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Whos smarter ? obviously me....

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-05-2007, 03:15 PM

The Dharma Bums may be better than On The Road. And it's hard to judge Kerouac's books by today's standards. He was writing back in the Eisenhower 50's, whole different story. He was breaking barriers. I listen to Lenny Bruce now and he doesn't seem very funny, but people seem to think he was important.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:26 PM

Lenny Bruce had some funny routines "Didja cum?" "Lone Ranger" and things, but once he started getting arrested every time he performed and injecting massive doses of smack he became painfully unfunny.

His importance cannot be underestimated however, just imagine living in a world where you could be arrested for saying "dirty words" onstage in a bar. The efforts of Lenny Bruce were one of the things that got us out of all that.

Also, William S. Burroughs book Naked Lunch was the last major book to be prosecuted as obscene in this country. You may argue that our culture is currently awash in filth but it beats the hell out of government interference in our speech.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too keen on those new words.