Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Straight on turn faced with river push on flush card

I wasnt sure what i could beat here that moves in on river. Villain was a bit of an idiot but not completely foolish and only hand i thought he could push with on the river was a flush. Is this fold to nittish? Comments appreciated on all streets.

pokerstars 6 max $0.05/$0.10

BB = $5.60
SB = $19.65 (Hero)
BTN = $11.70
CO = $4.30
UTG+1 = $10.40
UTG = $4.80 (Villain)

Hero is dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, BTN calls, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop ($0.50): 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, BTN checks.

Turn ($0.50): 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets $0.50, BB folds, UTG calls, CO folds, BTN folds.

River ($1.50): 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets $0.70, UTG raises all in, Hero folds.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Straight on turn faced with river push on flush card

Limped pot. River brings flush AND pairs board. I fold.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM

He limps preflop.

He checks behind two players on the flop. Most players would bet 2-pair here, but many $10 players would drag a set. So he could have a set, an A-5 type hand or a straight draw.

He calls a PSB on the turn after a 2nd spade hits. This could mean he turned a flush draw to go with his A-5 type hand, or he possibly hit a straight (but straight much less likely as you hold 76). A set is less likely if he is any way savvy because board is draw heavy and most players would raise the turn to protect his hand and get value. I think it's a pair + flush draw or a made straight, and a lesser possibility of a set.

River: The flush card comes in and also pairs the board. So that leaves a flush, straight or less likely full house. If he hit the flush it is a back door flush, so he only started with 1 spade in his hand, like i said say As5s..

You are getting 2 to 1 on the river to call. Is he a bluffer, does he try to buy the pot with weak hands? It depends on the players tendencies. What would he push with that you're beating? If I knew nothing about him I would fold because
1)he showed no strength up until the river
2)he must reckon you have a good hand seeing you bet the turn and the river
3)The board is very scary to bluff into

so unless he is a complete idiot he must know that you likely have a strong made hand, at least a straight.

If I knew he was a bad bluffer I would call because the fact the flush is backdoor makes it far less likely and bad bluffers love to bet these type of boards.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:35 AM

PF call seems fine, OOP, medium-small SC's.

OESD on the flop, again OOP, multiway, I guess check is fine. He doesn't bet. So either he didn't hit it, so taking into account his limp to rule out medium-big PP's, AK, AQ, looks like his remaining range are suited connectors, medium Axs, or a small set. I'm kind of basing this off the way the majority of villains at this level seem happy open-limping a really wide range of hands. It's just checked down though so it's hard to define his hand here.

You make your straight, and the bet is nicely sized to charge the flush if he has it, so I liked that. You're ahead of everything but a set here. He calls PSB. Looks like he came to life when the second spade hit. This sort of narrows it down, he might be on SC's and have made 2p on the flop, but I doubt it, since he probably would have bet if he had. He might be on SC's and have made 2p on the turn - you're ahead. He could be a moron with a medium suited ace that's hit the 8 - you're ahead. He might be chasing a flush draw now with the second spade, in which case well done you made him make a mistake. He might have a set and be trying to make you hang yourself - which isn't entirely implausible, he might well have limped a small PP, tried to slowplay on the flop, called on the turn and be planning a big bet on the river - again you're ahead though. So I like your bet, I don't like his call.

The river...hm. I'm not sure how I feel about betting out here, when there's a really distinct possibility he was chasing a flush, then you make his mistake correct. On the other hand there's plenty you're ahead of, you have a decent made hand, so it seems ok I guess. I'd be wary of it with bad players chasing draws. I'd like to hear someone more experience weigh in on this though, since this is something I struggle with.

His push: He limped preflop - small pp, sc, Axs. He checks the flop: air, small set, straight draw, pair, I'm less likely to think 2p. Turn - calls PSB: could be 2p, flush draw, set, straight - I think these are most likely possibilities. River bets out when board pairs, 3rd spade comes down - full house possibly, the line kind of fits a bad way of playing 55, it also looks like he might well have chased a flush draw on the turn and hit it on the river. I don't know if he'd push with set, 2p etc - do you?. I tend to find when the average passive villain at this level suddenly lights up they really do have something. His line fits slowplaying 55, or mistakenly chasing a flush draw then getting lucky and hitting, he's seen you bet two streets so he must have some idea you have a decent hand, and is betting onto a dangerous board....I'm inclined to fold.

I might well be wrong and being scarred by bad players chasing flush draws, hitting them, then me being retarded and paying off their mistakes when they make the draw, so I'd like to hear someone a bit more experienced on this. But overall I think you played it right, though I have my reservation about the bet on the river, I'm not convinced its wrong though, just not sure I'd do it. Overall play seemed ok though.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 PM

Preflop is fine against loose players. Against tighter players a raise would be great -- if you either have folding equity or can create folding equity for the flop, bomb it preflop with a raise to somewhere between $0.80 and $1.00. Note: at a typical table, just completing is probably best.

You hit a FANTASTIC flop -- now bet it. Put in $0.30 or so and start blowing opponents out of the hand. Alternatively, get called by most/all of them and have a much easier time getting all-in if/when you hit your miracle card.

As played, turn is standard.

As played, river makes me very uncomfortable. That was an absolutely ugly card, but villain is relatively short now. I don't want to check/call because I can't really expect him to wake up and bet. I think I'd probably bet $1 and call a push -- if villain is as bad as you say he could easily do this with two pair (rivered three pair) or with something like A4. Getting 2-to-1 odds from the pot I grimace and call. If I had bet the flop, bet the turn strongly, and bet the river, calling the river raise would be a trivially easy crying call.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 PM

Hm actually looking back at that flop, it is pretty dry, so maybe Pokey's suggestion of betting is good. I think I sort of switched into OOP, draw, multiway autocheck mode :/ So maybe the bet there is better than my original suggestion, and I guess it might make the river easier. Just thoughts coming back to it.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 AM

With regard to the post from Pokey, I can see why ATM could be justified in making a "crying " call here.

However, I don't like calling on the river here, like I said villain shows no strength in the first three betting rounds and then overbets the pot considerably.

What I am mainly getting at is this....I notice a lot of uNL villains who hit a big hand on the river will often overbet/raise big to "compensate" for the relatively small pot (in this case 15bb). They wish the pot was big to pay off their big hand so they inflate it to achieve a big pot.... because in their opinion they "deserve"(!) to win big with their big hand and they just hope the opponent comes along for the ride.

When I was only playing a few months I used to get caught out by this type of bet, thinking they were trying to buy the pot, and they turned over the virtual nuts.

Here I think the compensate scenario is far more likely than villain betting a good but losing hand or a stone bluff.