Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 PM

Default San Jose: more tables and No Limit action in 2008?

I was at Bay 101 yesterday (Thursday 11/1), and one of the dealers said that they'll be adding nine more new tables in January 2008. She also added that at that time, they'll also be allowed to offer No Limit cash game action, instead of spread limit. This was confirmed by a floor person. Later that day, at Garden City, I heard that GC will be permitted to do the same as well. Neither location had any information on whether they'd also be allowed to offer jackpots & bonuses.

What has anyone heard about this? If you have links to articles discussing this, please post. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: San Jose: more tables and No Limit action in 2008?

Hmm I haven't heard about this. The no NL (actually maximum $200 bet) rules are driven by San Jose city ordinances. Bay 101 is also currently limited to 40 tables (I think.. not sure of the exact number), but this is decided individually for each establishment and I guess they are getting that limit raised.

I think this is great if true. Having true NL games will make the games better IMO, although the spread games are currently sick juicy anyways. I guess this would also mean that they could spread limit games bigger than 100/200.

Adding 9 new tables is always great and will definitely help shorten the lists especially on the weekends. I'm not really sure where they will ut them though.. Right now the room is fairly comfortable with the tables not on top of each other, but 9 more tables (if they put them in the main room) will start to cramp it up Bellagio style!
Old 11-03-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm I haven't heard about this. The no NL (actually maximum $200 bet) rules are driven by San Jose city ordinances. Bay 101 is also currently limited to 40 tables (I think.. not sure of the exact number), but this is decided individually for each establishment and I guess they are getting that limit raised.

I think this is great if true. Having true NL games will make the games better IMO, although the spread games are currently sick juicy anyways. I guess this would also mean that they could spread limit games bigger than 100/200.

Adding 9 new tables is always great and will definitely help shorten the lists especially on the weekends. I'm not really sure where they will ut them though.. Right now the room is fairly comfortable with the tables not on top of each other, but 9 more tables (if they put them in the main room) will start to cramp it up Bellagio style!

[/ QUOTE ]

At Bay 101 at least, it sounded like they will put the new tables in that meeting room space behind the main poker area (to the right of the sports bar). As you may remember, that's where they moved everything when they renovated earlier this year.

As for Garden City, well, they do have all that extra space from the restaurant that they ripped out. Please ask around when you're next there.

Anyone have anything more concrete than my mere rumor?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is great if true. Having true NL games will make the games better IMO, although the spread games are currently sick juicy anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

If true, this could suck if some of the people who make the 20 and 40 limit games so great decide to gambooooool at NL instead and go broke in the first week.

I'd better start learning how to play NL just in case.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think this is great if true. Having true NL games will make the games better IMO, although the spread games are currently sick juicy anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

If true, this could suck if some of the people who make the 20 and 40 limit games so great decide to gambooooool at NL instead and go broke in the first week.

I'd better start learning how to play NL just in case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think having NL games is really going to pull any additional 20 or 40 players. The 5-spread and 10-spread games (especially the 10) have already pulled the ones that wanted to go that direction already. I think the games will be better because people are going to suck even worse (in a good way [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) in a non-capped bet game.

I wouldn't really worry to much about people going broke either. I see people drop 3K in the 20 and be back the next day....I'm not worried about the fish going busto.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 AM

This is interesting stuff....to a new Bay Area resident....Viva Las Vegas no more [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2007, 12:45 AM

Seriously doubt it.
As mentioned, the 40 table limit and $200 max bet are written into the city ordinance.
An amendment to the ordinance that required the two clubs to close 2am-6am and prohibiting 'backlining' in the Asian Games is still stuck in the courts (the city has backed off now that they really need the tax revenue, but the law is still on the books).
My understanding is that the state has okayed the changes, but it is still up to the city of San Jose to change the ordinance. Don't hold your breath.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:12 AM

any1 know what kind of stakes they might add?
i play micro stakes so I'm looking for the lowest spread games.

To my knowledge bay101 lowest game is 2/4
My ideal game would be anything under NL200.
Would this be a reality? Or would NL400 be the lowest game spread?
Old 11-04-2007, 03:19 PM

2/4 hasn't gone at Bay 101 in months. Too much demand for higher games. If it happens, I would guess the spread limit games would vanish, to be replaced with 2/3/5(because of the drop) NL and 5/10 at least, maybe higher on weekends. Maybe a bigger game than 100/200 LHE on weekends, although most of the time the 100/200 isn't even full.

I can't see anything smaller than 2/3/5 because they want to drop $5 and there has to be some kind of pot that goes to the winner if there's no flop.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:02 AM

The 2/4 does not run at Bay 101, except perhaps at off hours.

Garden City still spreads 2/4. Last Friday night Garden City had 2 tables of 2/4 going and 5 or 6 tables of 3/6. The 3/6 list was very long last Friday, probably because of being close to the first of the month. I have occasionally seen 3 tables of 2/4 running.

Garden City also has a 3/100 spread limit game with 1/3 blinds and 100 buyin. This is probably the smallest spread game in San Jose.

The San Jose mayor who was trying to force Garden City and Bay 101 to close is now out of office after being accused of accepting bribes, but I am not sure what the political environment for poker is in San Jose right now. The 200 maximum bet is a city ordnance which would have to be changed to allow NL. I would be more likely to believe more tables, which might allow for more LL games.