http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/features/best

espn is kidding, right?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Official NBA Season Thread

[ QUOTE ]

espn is kidding, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, Bulls only lost 2 home games by 1 point each, wtffffff.

I gotta agree with espn, they are on pace for 82-0, cant argue with 82-0.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

espn is kidding, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the greatest article/post of all time.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

espn is kidding, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't bandwagons fun?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect not, given that you included the 45 win 6th seeded Denver Nuggets as a title contender (they lost in the first round!) once you saw the Cavs did poorly against them. I wonder how the Cavs did against the Lakers and Warrior? I'm sure everyone reading this was as shocked as I was to discover that the Cavs went 4-0 against those teams. The Cavs went 8-8 against the WC playoff teams.

[/ QUOTE ]
At this point it's like the WC of the NBA in 2007 just exists to you in two dimensions, more specifically an NBA standings page on ESPN.com. The Nuggets were a WAY better team than both the Lakers and Warriors, and their 45 wins isn't an accurate reflection of their playoff chances because of the Melo suspension and AI being acquired mid-season. Do you really think that over an 82 game tilt with all their players that they would only win 45 games? If so then you're lying to yourself. This is what makes the 16-6 run to finish the season even more relevant than most season-ending runs. Yet you choose to ignore this obvious fact in support of the LOLZ WELL YOUR IGNORING THE LAKERS AND WARRIORS AND LOOK HOW THE CAVS DID AGAINST THEM!!!1 Who cares? They had no chance of going anywhere, bizarre and perfect GSW-Dallas storm excepted.

Also, I bolded the part above for extra hypocrisy. They did lose to the Spurs, you know. The team that went on to win it all. What round you lose in is not indicative of your ability. Such as the year before, when the Spurs lost to Dallas in the second round even though they were clearly superior to the hobbled and Amare-less Suns team that luckboxed their way to the WC on the easier side of the bracket. Does this make the Spurs less good, that they only won one round that year? Give me a break.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:26 AM

Dear point differential-obsessed nerds: the stat is a pretty good indicator but not the end all/be all of predictive numbers. Here is a brief rundown of recent seasons and how the PD leaders fared:

2006: Spurs (lost in 2nd round), Pistons 0.1 behind (lost in EC finals to the Heat, who had the fifth best PD)

2005: Spurs (won title)

2004: Spurs (lost to the 6th place Lakers in the WCF)

2003: Mavericks (lost to Spurs in the WC finals)

2002: Kings (lost to Lakers in the WCF)

2001: Spurs (lost to Lakers in the WCF)

So once in the six seasons prior to last year did the season's PD leader win the title. Hey, I think it's a sexy stat too, but it isn't a fully accurate predictor of future results.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 AM

Dear win-obsessed luddites: that stat is a pretty good indicator but not the end all/be all of predictive numbers. Here is a brief rundown of recent season and how the win leaders fared:

2007: Mavs (lost in first round)

2006: Pistons (lost in EC Finals to Heat, who had the 5th best W total)

2005: Suns (lost WC Finals to Spurs)

2004: Pacers (lost EC Finals to Pistons)

2003: Mavs/Spurs tie. Spurs win the title.

2002: Kings (lost to Lakers in the WCF)

2001: Spurs (lost to Lakers in the WCF)

So once in the last seven season did the season's win leader win the title. Hey, I think it's a sexy stat, too, but it isn't a fully accurate predictor of future results.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 AM

LOL, nice.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop raising the Mavs up so much. They couldn't get past an eight seed, they don't deserve to be mentioned in talks about beating the Spurs or Suns later in the playoffs. They have to earn it, and they didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, typical Spur fan. Short-term memory heh? I guess going through SA and Pho in 06 to the Finals wasn't earning anything, would love to here your excuse on that one.

You are right about one thing though, the Spurs did get lucky in the playoffs last year--lucky they didn't play Dallas. Of course, "they lost to an 8 seed how can you say that!" Dallas was built to beat SA b/c for so long the road to the title has been through SA--in 06 they beat them and then got jobbed in the finals. Last year, that team was once again primed and ready to go--they just had one big hole and that was facing big 1-2 guards--neither of which SA has. GS was Dallas' kryptonite last year, go back and look at Dallas' reg season performance against every team in the NBA and then look at how they fared against GS...they may have fixed those holes this year, we shall see.

And I didn't even go into the luck job against Pho--that was an all-timne hack job.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:05 PM

this thread flopped quickly.