Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 07:23 AM

Default Re: What are the most common leaks for a losing/break even player?

I play 6 max NL on pokerstars. I played $0.5/$0.10 but because of my bad play lately have tilted off a lot of my bankroll. I think I need to go down to $0.01/$0.02 I dont have any stats because I dont have poker tracker but while playing on Titan poker for 2.5 hours with a guy he gave me the stats i was running off of his poker office which were 35,3/11,18,2 and 28/17/1,6 (both separate occasions not sure what these mean though) but these probably dont help because it was only twice and I could have been running good etc. I'm bad for tilting and paying off the stations when they hit there draws and sometimes not sure how to discipline myself to stop calling there min bets when they hit there flushes and straights etc. I dont properly think through a hand while playing either. What should my thought process be for every hand?
Old 11-23-2007, 03:03 PM

My suggetion would be two things:

1. Get Poker Traker it is only $45 and worth the investment because if you use the information it provides about your game it will pay for itself in wins or at least by lessen your loses.

2. Get Dan Harrinton's books, good, conservative player with great Hand Problems in the books.

Both great ways to plug leaks in your game.

Good Luck
Old 11-23-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stacking off with top pair or an overpair. I see it time and time again.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many situations(especially in micro stakes) where it is profitable to get all your money in with an overpair or even top pair.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you always/never defend the blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one would be the leak?

I've stopped defending the blinds - I just started folding to a raise if I don't want to play the hand. I'm even folding more in the small blind when it doesn't look like my starting hand is going to go anywhere.
I've always heard about "defending your blinds", but it just seems like more of a hassle than it's worth. (playing out of position etc..)

(I only play SNGs.)
Old 11-23-2007, 08:51 PM

Always defending and never defending can both be leaks, though if you are weaker postflop and dont feel you can outplay the person then always defending <<<<< never defending. If you are still trying to get a handle on postflop just defend with good hands till more comfortable.

Ussually in the first few trips around the table if people want to take my blinds oh well, in a sng the blinds at the beginning are very small, take note if they are stealing alot though as you can use that against them. Watch what they show down with against other people when they raise you out if it goes to showdown.

I played lots of sngs for awhile but mainly playing cash now, in cash if I feel that they are pushing on my blind I will defend it. Though generally I play tight for several rounds, then once ive shown a smaller vpp/pfr I will open up and start playing more hands in posisition and more activally defend/steal as observant and people using huds will give you more respect imo when you start playing back.

Thats just from my small sample if trying to establish a tight image early rather then playing the same all the time.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please ellaborate. 'stacking off' is not a term familiar to me. Am I to assume you mean continuing to bet/raise/reraise without making value bets and accepting the fact a call or reraise usually means something?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many situations(especially in micro stakes) where it is profitable to get all your money in with an overpair or even top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to mention a few - or one?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please ellaborate. 'stacking off' is not a term familiar to me. Am I to assume you mean continuing to bet/raise/reraise without making value bets and accepting the fact a call or reraise usually means something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacking off means losing your entire stack (your chips) thinking your TPTK or overpair are any good. This is a classic mistake from many live players who overvalue these hands and then wonder why they lose so much.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to mention a few - or one?

[/ QUOTE ]
Professional No Limit Hold'em has a lot to say about this. When the stack-to-pot ratio is small, say in a reraised pot, you are usually happy to get all-in for 100 BB with a strong overpair or strong top pair.

Example: MP raises to 4 BB, you reraise to 15 BB with AA on the button. The flop is KT4. Your opponent bets out 20 BB into the 32 BB pot, and a pot-sized raise (20 + 72BB) is all-in. Do it, and it is much more likely that you will get called by a weaker hand that caught a piece of the flop like AK or KQ or QJ than that you are behind. It is also likely that your opponent has some outs, and you want to protect your hand; you shouldn't regret pushing if your opponent folds.

That example works at all stake levels. In microstakes games, it is easier to bet for value, since it is much more likely that your opponent will overvalue a hand like KT on a ten-high flop, or AJ on an ace high board. That means you should not worry as much about the times that you are behind. In order to avoid stacking off when you are behind, you would have to give up too much value.

When you have 100 BB or more, but your opponent has 50 BB, the effective stack size is 50 BB, and it is commonly correct to get all-in with one good pair in a raised pot.

There are also many flops where you can't push for value, but where calling all-in is better than folding. If you are up against two pair, you have about 25% equity on the flop, which means you get a lot of money back even when you are behind. It doesn't take many bluffs to make it profitable to call a pot-sized bet.

Obviously, it is also depends on your opponents. Against a maniac, you don't need nearly as strong of a hand to call all-in as you do against a passive player.