Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

Hello, firstly, I could do the website for you. I am currently improving my game by watching lots of videos from stox, cardrunners, reading books (currently reading mathematics of poker) and reading poker forums.

My poker goals are to improve as much as possible in the next year, I’m 22, have finished my degree and currently work 3 days a week. This gives me a lot of free time to post/read/think/talk about poker.

I’m willing to work hard and will probably ask loads of questions because im the suck at NL poker lol, 99% of my posts have been about limit but lately I have played a fair bit of nl (25$ and 50$ buy-ins) and enjoyed the change and feel that with a little help and a lot of work from me I could be beating up to 2/4 within 6 months.

Some other goals I have from poker are to make it my main source of income. I’m always willing to help/talk to others on msn/aim and hope you pick me, thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 09:54 PM

Ok here's my shot. Would love to have the chance to take part in this

1. How you are currently improving your game

Reading and posting on 2+2 (I've got a pretty high strat post %); watching CardRunners or other videos; discussing poker with friends; someday I will get to the end of The Mathematics of Poker as well...

2. Your poker goals.

I play poker because I think it's a fascinating game and I enjoy it a lot. I don't really care that much about money. My 'goal' if I have one is just to be the best I can be. I have no idea yet how good that is. Right now I'd just like to beat 100NL for a decent amount.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings

I currently play 50NL, with a few shots at 100. After playing semi-successfully online for a couple of months earlier this year, I decided around the end of July that it would give me a lot more confidence if I was playing with a bankroll built solely from profit so I took the $70 that I had in my Stars account and started grinding it up from the bottom. Since then I've played 69k hands from 10 to 100NL and made $1.7k. (+ a bit more from bonii, tournaments and live poker)

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

I mostly just respond to/take part in discussion of hands that other people post as I think it's the best way to get something out of this forum. Feel free to click on my name and look at the last few.

5. A little about yourself.

I'm 22, doing graduate work in Classics at Cambridge at the moment. I live in the UK (obviously) and have even been to Leeds once. I am really not a very egotistical or difficult person and am very willing to learn. I think I fit your bill pretty well actually.

I've used Camtasia before and it shouldn't be too much trouble to get Skype or a mic.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 PM

I am getting several different streams of coaching. Also I'm reading msnl like fiend.

2. Your poker goals.

I want to become a consistent midstakes grinder with a high winrate. I don't have any current ambitions of playing much higher than 5/10, but my goal is to be able to gameselect from 5/10 to 2/4 and just play in good games and make monay.

Current stakes: 2/4 six max and full ring. Past earnings, roughly 100k$ in about a year and a half.

poohbah post
aim musings on full ring no limit

I post a ton in FRNL, some in MSNL. I moderate the FRNL forum on www.flopturnriver.com

5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply. Please apply ONLY in this thread.

As you may expect, i have a full ring background. I've played probably at least 800k hands of 1/2+ full ring games, with a pretty decent winrate of around 3ptbb/100. I don't have any screenshots because ive lost most of my db's.

Ive played probably 200k hands of 5/1+ six max, where i've been only marginally successful. I think theres some kinda mental block that makes me good at full ring and marginal at six max, but since the full ring games have gotten really bad i need to work through this. Lately ive been playing in the 2/4 six max game on full tilt.

I'm 23, a senior in college (architecture), i play bass, and its probably the thing im best at (hopefully poker will eventually oust that).

Also fwiw i'd definitely be down with helping out with the site, but im not sure exactly what that would involve at this point. Anything that actively engages me with players i can learn from is going to be acceptable with me.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:51 PM

The replies in this thread make me wish i had not wasted your time. WPT winners and 5-10 regs are jumping @ this chance. I dont think that bodes well for the small stakers like myself.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 PM

I thought that too, but I think he will take 1 or 2 lower stakes just to prove he can coach anyone.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. How you are currently improving your game.
I read more or less every post from UNL-MSNL every day (as well as every class/anthology post), I post hands regularly, I discuss hands on AIM with a number of 2p2ers, and I have recently begun seeking a coach - I had my first lesson the other day with Orange and intend to be doing trial coaching sessions with several others in mid-december when I get back to the game. I am incredibly dedicated to improve as I am sick and tired of grinding out a paltry winrate at the micros.

2. Your poker goals.
In short, I want to excel. I've never had as much of a problem getting "good" at anything in my life as poker, really. I've managed to pick up many many things in my life without much effort (knock on wood), but for some reason I can't seem to advance past "very mediocre" in this game. I've been grinding out 25/50nl for almost 200k hands now and just can't seem to get a good handle on the game, though I used to crush the PLO200 games back in the (pre-leg) days. I would like to be a solid winner at MSNL and to feel like I have excelled in the game, more than anything. I don't really have any desire to play HSNL in my life, but I realy aspire to be able to achieve solid success in mid stakes - like, the 5/10 games. And, as a student, the cash is of course a huge factor as well.

I just dropped back down (for the millionth time) to 50Nl after a shot-at-100NL-from-hell. I have about a 2.5bb/100 winrate at 50NL for WAAAAY too many hands and can't seem to get passed that. Net earnings in NLHE are a paltry 4-5kish. Net earnings from pre-legislation PLO was roughly 12kish.

I can cue a specific example if its really neccessary, but I think a username search of my name makes the point. This is my second account (old account dates to '04) and I think to date i've probably made less than 10 posts that weren't strategy-related - a handful in the "legislation" forum and a handful in bbv. I respond to more threads than I create, but I tend to make longer responses than others to other peoples questions.

5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply. Please apply ONLY in this thread.
I am capable and willing to run the site. Have reasonable experience webmastering, spend oodles of time on the internet every day, and would love to be able to "give back." I am hyper-competitive to a pretty absurd extent, which is the primary driving factor towards making me want to improve and excel at this game. I used to be a tournament chess player, which came to me much easier than poker. I am now a 3rd year at a small liberal arts college in Southern California, though I am currently studying abroad in Melbourne, Australia, and about to do 3 weeks of tramping in the South Island of New Zealand. I am also in the midst of the roughest downswing of my poker career and desperately seeking to retool my game, and this seems to be a great opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your consideration, and please let me know if you are willing to take me on. I would be incredibly grateful if you decide to do so.

Todd

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw that you also wanted to know hours played/ winnings over the last 5 months.

I've been averaging roughly 15-20hours of play/week for the last several months, putting together a very meager 2.5ish/100ptbb winrate at NL50 (I get killed every shot at NL100 and am crushing NL25 but can't seem to jump to 100 well at all), for net winnings of like 3.5k....which sucks.

I also want to reiterate that I probably want this as bad, if not worse, than anyone else here. I am actually in the process of scouting coaches who are WAY too expensive for me, planning on spending like half my bankroll just because I can't stand being so mediocre anymore and it'd be worth it to me. But this would be a PERFECT situation for someone like me who wants this level of coaching so badly but can't really afford it, which I think is pertinent.

I am hyper-competitive and not being able to excel in this game is something that really, really gets to me. I am willing to work incredibly hard, put in silly amounts of time, and stretch my mind to its brink in order to excel. I am incredibly coachable and *think* I have the tools that it should take to do very well - I do best at logic/puzzle games (elementary school state chess champion FTW!), I am very competitive, I am a rational thinker, and above all, there is nothing I enjoy more than excelling at something.

I'll also repeat that I would be ecstatic about running said website and am pretty well qualified to do so - I have been the owner/webmaster of my own online business before and also run a forum-based login website. It would also make me feel good to be able to "give back" to the commmunity that has already given me so much.

Thanks for your consideration, and even if I'm not picked, thanks for doing this. Its an incredibly generous and awesome thing of you to do, and i'm sure whoever does get picked will be highly deserving.

Todd
Old 11-22-2007, 01:25 AM

1. Participating in 2+2 strategy forums, playing a lot given I have a day job, discussing hands on Skype with every friend that plays poker (unfortunately, they are all in the micros), thinking about poker nearly every waking second I don't spend at my day job, reviewing hands after every session, watching CR (and soon Leggo) videos, reading poker books, did a group training session with a respected high stakes pro. I actually have a second account name that is longer standing (since nov 2006) and more respectable that I can PM to you.

2. Get to as high a limit I can given my natural talent allows me (I think I don't have it in me for nosebleeds but I could do a few more limits until the games start really drying up); then earn money there while diversifying into PLO and whatever the newest fad will be.

3. I started with $20 a year ago. I play MSNL at different Euro sites, from $2/$4 to $5/$10 (when fish are out); 6max and HU with some FR thrown in when fish are there; I'm a 3 ptbb+ winner at every stakes I've played so far except $10/$20. I can PM the exact figures or PT shots upon your request.

4. First one I found

5. I'm 28 yo from a small country in Eastern Europe; I work in IT and used to be a programmer; I'm smart and very motivated about things that interest me; I keep the day job partially because I'm afraid of burnout if I go pro. My biggest concern and why I'm applying is that I don't have enough good people to talk poker with; I'm actually not sure if there is anybody at all in my country who plays stakes as high as I do. All of my friends play micros and despite me coaching them and helping them move up they aren't there yet.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:32 AM

I was playing a lot and analyzing my hands constantly using PT. I also regularly read people’s strategy post from micro stakes to medium stakes, and posted hands I wanted opinions on.

2. Your poker goals.
I really want to climb my way up to 1000nl or 2000nl and be a regular winner. And if I can keep going, that’ll be great.

I Made my roll from 25nl but now I play 50nl. I’ve earned about $520 (2.6bb/100) in 20K hands at 50nl. I’ve played 7K hands at 100nl where I won at a rate of 5bb/100(running good). I didn’t feel comfortable there so I’m back at 50nl to improve my win rate.

All my post have been strategy but it is mostly me posting hands and asking questions. I really don’t feel comfortable giving advice in other peoples post, cause I am not that confident in my abilities and I don‘t want to mess other’s up with possible bad advice.

I'm 23, I started playing at 21 but just for fun. I was a small loser to breakeven player. In August of this year I decided to take this game seriously and I’ve been working on my game constantly. I started at 25nl and worked my way to 50nl then 100nl, but am moving back down to 50nl because I want to improve my play.

Then in the middle of October I had some issues and haven’t played since, but I’ve still been reading strategy post a few times a week. I have everything in order now and after the holidays will play once again starting at 50nl, and am planning on playing no less than 20 hours a week but I‘ll probably do more because my schedule is wide open for now. I've really changed my game since I started taking it serious, but I still think I'm garbage.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:28 AM

I really appreciate what you're doing here Jay and love the concept of the community. Perhaps what you will end up with is 25 / 50 players coaching 10 / 20 players, 10 / 20 players coaching 5 / 10 players, and so on and so forth, all the way down to 25/50c. That would be pretty cool.

Nobody is perfect but I believe I fit your selection criteria for suitable applicants. So, to the questions.

Superficially, I play roughly 1k hands per day, watch cardrunners videos, and discuss hands with other poker players. But I think more important than of this is the time I spend analyzing the game in my head. I try not to think about what I should be doing, but what I should do and the reason for it. I try to balance ranges against regulars even though I am a lowly 100nl grinder. I also started talking in chat with one of the only few really good regulars on ladbrokes (at the applicable stakes), and we are now discussing hands daily on AIM after our sessions. We are also looking to start making a one hour video of our play for each other to give an audio critique (Bryce style).

2. Your poker goals.

My poker goal is to beat 5/10NL for 4BB's/100, 4-tabling and playing roughly 1k hands per day. I might have to reassess this goal and bring it down to 3BB's if I found that I am simply not capable of this. I certainly believe that 4BB/100 is possible for a good player, it's just a question of whether they can maintain focus during downswings, and manage their lifestyle such that they are always playing their best.

The main reason that my ambition only extends this far is that it would provide for a comfortable lifestyle, but perhaps allow me to avoid the stress of long break-even stretches at higher stakes (see: better players).

However, as with all things, if I were to succed in meeting this goal over 100k hands, I would certainly re-eveluate my situation, as with all things.

My short-term goal is to move up to 200nl on January 1st.

I'm currently grinding 100nl. I'm away for 10 days in Melbourne (starting tonight). My goal for December is to win 20 buy ins and then move up to 200nl on January 1st. I started playing poker seriously a year ago, and after rakeback, bonuses and gross winnings, I guess I've made $8k or so.

I'm not a big strategy poster. I have tried to get into it many times. But while there may be some excellent posters in small stakes no limit, they are few and far between. I think I certainly have a competent understanding of hand ranges and the like, and in most cases I have found that people don't usually tell me something I don't already know. Often big decisions are very close, and when you make the decision you are aware of that. I am more concerned with more insidious mistakes, like c-betting too much or too little vs various opponents. Not check raise bluffing frequently enough. Stuff like that. Things that can't really be described in a simple strat post.

So to provide some insight into the strategy I have been thinking lately...

Minraising the flop in 3-bet pots: I have given a lot of thought to it and been working into my game recently against regulars. Minraising in a 3-bet pot tends to induce a fold or shove. No one has just called me as yet. The theory behind it is the usual mathematical stuff. If I raise to $4 in the cutoff, button 3-bets to $13.50, and I call, there is $27 in the pot. Button then c-bets for $21 which makes the total pot $48.

Now let's say the flop is an A 9 6 rainbow, and that the button raiser has a very wide range. To minraise it costs $42. The pot is $48. Thus, the minraise needs to cause a fold marginally less than 50% of the time to be profitable, in and of itself.

Doing some basic poker stove work with hand ranges, it is easily determined that given his solid range of 3-betting hands, this play will be profitable, given the assumption that he folds without top pair or better. KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 88, some suited connector, KQs , KQo etc all fold out.

However, it also has the effect of making opponents stack off lighter, especially in 3-bet pots. I have been targeting one solid regular specifically with this strategy and had great success in deep stacked situations. If I flop a set in a 3-bet pot he cannot find a fold w/ top pair or an overpair for 160BB's+.

My minraises are always compatabile with my range as I never 4-bet regulars. So on any board I could have AA or KK. I only 4-bet fish who I am certain will shove.

I don't want to waste your time writing 10k words on one aspect of the game, but hopefully this offers some insight into the way I analyze the game.

I live in Australia. I'm a 24 year old male. I have two degrees. One in commerce and one in social sciences. At present I am just playing poker to make some cash while I consider my future. I have applied to do a dip-ed (a one year grad degree in education) that will allow me to teach high school. I hope to just teach relief two days a week and play poker to make extra money.

I appreciate your consideration.

James.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:29 AM

I retooled my game in july by printing off the stickies in the micro stakes, full ring, and small stakes forums and am constantly reviewing and rereading useful information in these. i am also reviewing the numbers in my pokertracker database to continue to try to fix leaks. i also frequently troll the micro stakes and full ring forums and chat with several friends about various hands and plays.

2. Your poker goals
Right now my main goal is to keep improving. I am now a winning player after finding two plus two and i feel i am very close to getting an additional second income from poker. I would like to move to NL400 within 12 months maintaining proper bankroll management and feel comfortable playing at those levels. I do not feel my game is adequate to play at those levels right now but with a little mentoring it can help me get there.

Right now i play at NL50 after just moving up from NL25 occasionally a little NL100 when i can find the right players there. At NL25 i have made about 9bb/100 over 75k hands but have always ran somewhat bad at felt more comfortable at NL25. I feel that i understand most of the concepts even a lot of advance ones, but feel my game is just a slight bit too nitty to move up. Prior to July i was a break even player after rakeback and bonuses. I would win some then tilt some away. I have nearly eliminated the tilting problem (no one is perfect).

4. I will admit i havent posted much in the NL/PL strategy areas. I do often post hands to friends over messenger etc. and they do likewise and will often times give advice or ask them why they did what they did. I do feel that i am significantly better than most of my friends and am constantly trying to help them get better if they are willing. I do troll constantly and analyze hands and review my hands to see how i could have played them more optimally.

5. Im 25 have been playing poker for four years prior to recently more for fun and some occasional income. Im very analytical in my daily life and take a mathematical approach to the game. I have a full time state job on salary and i must work 36 hours per week although for the most part i can pick and choose which hours to work. I have played over 110k hands since July and put a lot of time into it. I do not have an ego so no problem there. Like i said i feel like i am very close and would appreciate the coaching. I would not be opposed to a website or using skype several of my friends have it already.
Closed Thread